Jun 13, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Caterham F1 Team owner Tony Fernandes has rubbished rumors suggesting that the team might pull out of Formula 1 before next weekend’s Austrian Grand Prix, saying that “there is no question” about its future.
Caterham has been languishing at the back of the grid ever since its entry to Formula 1 in 2010, and Fernandes said at the beginning of the year that if the situation did not improve, he would consider selling the team.
A report in the Malaysian media suggested that the Caterham brand was set to be put up for sale, only for Fernandes to reject the rumors. This week, a story on German website SpeedWeek said that budgetary problems could bring the team to a halt immediately, but once again Fernandes has rubbished the notion.
“Caterham F1 will be racing in Austria,” he tweeted. “There is no question.”
The team showed zero sign of making the Canadian Grand Prix its last, and the rumors did not appear to have much support, hence why they came as such a surprise.
MotorSportsTalk chatted to the team’s test driver, Alexander Rossi, in Montreal, and he expressed his eagerness to get back behind the wheel of the team’s GP2 car in Austria, as well as his excitement for another practice session in the F1 car in Austin later this year. In no way was the idea of an early withdrawal even considered, let alone spoken about, with Rossi or the other team members.
The last team to pull out of Formula 1 mid-season was Super Aguri in 2008. However, its withdrawal came as little surprise, with the team accepting that the Spanish Grand Prix in Barcelona was its last.
As Fernandes said, Caterham will definitely be in Austria next weekend, and the team will be working to cut the gap to nearest-rivals Marussia at the back of the grid.
Caterham F1 will be racing in Austria. There is no question.
— Tony Fernandes (@tonyfernandes) June 13, 2014
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 0
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 1
- Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony headlines 6.5 hours of NASCAR on NBCSN 0