Jun 13, 2014, 6:08 PM EDT
Chase Pistone made a late surge to the top of the speed charts in Friday’s first of two Camping World Truck Series practice sessions at Gateway Motorsports Park.
Pistone covered the suburban St. Louis track, hosting its first Truck Series race – Saturday’s Drivin’ for Linemen 200 – since 2010, at a field-best speed of 136.141 mph.
Pistone achieved his top lap on the last of 21 practice laps.
Ironically, only eight drivers entered for Saturday night’s race have ever driven a truck at Gateway in past years.
A total of 27 trucks took to the track in the first practice.
A second practice session will be held from 7 to 9 pm ET Friday evening.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- McLaren to get Honda engine upgrade for Spa, post-summer break 0
- DiZinno: Mid-Ohio a dream weekend for Rahal, IndyCar, fans 0
- Dates for 2016 IndyCar schedule starting to come together 12
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 6
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 1
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 4
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 14