Danica says Haas hasn’t asked her about possible F1 ride

Jun 13, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT

Danica Patrick Reuters

NASCAR team owner Gene Haas has said that Danica Patrick would be a “dream driver” for his fledgling F1 franchise, Haas Formula.

But according to Patrick herself, neither Haas or anyone else has approached her about such an opportunity.

“I agree that anything is possible, but nobody has said anything to me,” she said in an interview with the Toronto Sun. “I am happy where I am at right now as far as racing goes.

“I am just starting to get the hang of Sprint Cup racing.”

Patrick, a former Verizon IndyCar Series racer that’s in her second full season of big-league stock car racing, added that while she would “certainly listen” to such an offer from her boss, “I am almost getting too old [32] to start a third career.”

Haas had initially downplayed the possibility of Patrick jumping from his NASCAR side to his F1 side during an interview with NBCSN at last weekend’s Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal.

But in an interview with F1’s official website, Haas said that “she surely fits the bill” for being in F1 and would “attract a lot of attention.”

However, Patrick sounds like she knows that she would be better off continuing to learn the ins and outs of NASCAR.

“I think I just understand the commitment that is required to be successful at the Cup level now both on and off the track,” she said to the Sun. “Like being in the race shop, knowing what’s going on with the team at all times and being involved throughout all of it.”

“I feel the team is building better race cars and I think I am feeling the car better…That helps me relay better information to help make changes and send the car in the right direction.”

Some positive signs have been shown by Patrick, including a seventh-place finish last month at the 1.5-mile Kansas Speedway – her best-ever result in Sprint Cup.

1. techmeister1 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Gee the haters aren’t here yet…but they will show soon.

As far as Danica is concerned yes Haas in an interview did say he thought that as a woman and with her popularity, open wheel experience and diminutive size, she would be a wonderful asset for his F1 program – as a second car driver. He acknowledged that he needs an experienced F1 driver for the first car. I’m glad he’s reading my comments. LOL

I wish Haas all the best but it sure looks like he is being led down a primrose path or getting very bad advice from people. If I were he and I was considering entering F1, I would have had all of my infrastructure in both the U.S. and the U.K. in place up and running and hard at work on a car TWO YEARS ago. I’d have had wind tunnel testing of current F1 car profiles and possible Haas cars for the past TWO YEARS. I sure would not have been back peddling now and be talking 2016 when they don’t have a proper facility or 200+ experienced F1 engineers working 24/7 on designing and testing a new car.

• ghibliss - Jun 20, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Danica has a record of failure in each series that she has participated in. In Indy Car racing she won just one race held in Hawaii only due to the fact that nobody else was really at that race! In Nascar Danica averages a finishing position of lower than 23rd which is pathetic. If it were not for GoDaddy.com Danica would not have a prayer of getting a ride with anyone.

Why would anyone consider her for an F1 seat given the cost of fielding a car? When you look at the bottom eight drivers in F1 that will never score a point it seems as if the team owners must have very deep pockets as none of their costs are covered without their car being in the points ie cars flown to the race at the expense of F1 (Bernie Ecclestone). To pay hundreds of millions of dollars per year to filed a team without the chance of scoring points is ridiculous!

Danica likely would not win even racing on X-Box or playstation:)

2. eugenesaxe1 - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:02 PM

I’m sure they’d prefer someone who might occasionally win.

• indycarseries500 - Jun 16, 2014 at 10:19 AM

They’re not going to win for many years, if ever, so they’d actually be better off hiring a competent driver who will garner attention and sponsorship dollars, which is something DP can give them.

• bigdcart - Jun 16, 2014 at 7:22 PM

You have to hire a driver that can stay within a second of the next slowest driver. Patrick can’t do that. She traded places with Ed Carpenter for slowest in the field on street and road courses. F1 fans care about performance and not the media circus that Nascar swallows. If Haas wants an American driver, hire Alex Rossi.

3. adam1638 - Jun 14, 2014 at 3:13 AM

#1 Bottas #2 Rossi …I see Bottas being a top driver and WDC caliber in the future. As for Rossi, He is the only American with the experience of Formula 1. Anyone else would be a big gamble and Gene doesn’t need any more gambles. He has enough of that with starting a brand new team. Rossi is the smart choice. As for a solid veteran driver there are plenty capable but someone like Bottas in my opinion would be a good “get”

4. techmeister1 - Jun 14, 2014 at 12:37 PM

I knew the haters would show up… It’s guaranteed. Haters gonna hate because they are clueless.

• ajah24 - Jun 14, 2014 at 7:44 PM

It isn’t about hating “per se”. She really isn’t qualified for a Super License also she really wouldn’t make the 107% rule. Face it, she doesn’t have the qualifications to race in F1. It is not about hating her, it is about the realistic aspect of her talent or lack thereof.

• indycarseries500 - Jun 16, 2014 at 10:21 AM

It’s not that hard to get a superlicense, and you are hating because anyone who has actually seen her knows she’s competent enough to get within 107% if the car is capable of being within 107%.

5. thenicklemansbrothera - Jun 14, 2014 at 3:23 PM

techmaster: If you were dumping a couple of hundred million in a program I would think you would want drivers with the best chance for winning. Patrick is a big draw and her supporters would be behind her all the way but I am not sure she could thrive or win in F!.

• indycar02 - Jun 15, 2014 at 5:54 PM

and, i dont think she would ever be in the points, cant wait for simona n susie!…

• indycarseries500 - Jun 16, 2014 at 10:22 AM

I don’t think either of them would ever be in the points, especially Susie.

6. kando53 - Jun 17, 2014 at 8:47 PM

What a stupid publicity statement. While I respect Danica, and all she has accomplished, she is in no way qualified for F1 racing. She hasn’t done anything well enough professionally to believe that she would have even the remotest chance of competing in F1. It is completely different from most other forms of car racing, and requires much different talents. Just ask the few who have actually driven F1 and also forms such as Indy or Nascar. They all openly admit that F1 is the ultimate race car, and more demanding in various ways. Not to take anything away from other race platforms, however, as they all have their own very demanding requirements.

Video from NASCAR America

Which longshot will advance in Chase?
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches