Jun 13, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT
Admittedly, we are talking about a fake story here. At least, it sure seems like it after reading the original version (if you’re a fan of The Onion, you’ll understand what we’re talking about).
But for a minute or so, a report by EmpireSports.com almost had us believing a report that a driver had won a NASCAR-sanctioned race in Atlanta this week while going backwards.
In what appeared to be a Ricky Bobby story come to life for at least a few moments, the EmpireSports report claimed that with two laps remaining in a “non-televised race,” a driver wrecked and was left facing the wrong way.
With time and laps running out, the driver was left with a predicament:
“Knowing that turning around would take too much time that he didn’t have to spare, the driver threw the car in reverse and continued to race around the track backwards,” the tall tale claimed.
And, gosh darn it, if he didn’t wind up winning the race, too.
But the final paragraph sealed the deal that it was a fake story, claiming “the name of the driver was not released to the press, as officials are still checking their rulebooks to see whether or not the win would count if the car didn’t cross the line nose-first.”
Yes, it was a fake story, but you have to give EmpireSports credit for making it seem believable, but also left us with a real-life question:
What would happen if this really did happen in a NASCAR race?
To read the whole story, and to get a good laugh (check out some of the fan and driver “quotes” in it), click here to read the original EmpireSports.com’s “report.”
While you’re at it, check out a couple of other “Breaking News” stories on the site: the PGA starting its first mini-putt (mini-golf) Masters and North Korea hosting the 2016 Summer Olympics (now, that’s reaaaalllly stretching the truth).
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 12
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 5
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 47
- Kyle Busch outduels Joey Logano for Nationwide win in Dover 2