Jun 13, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT
Admittedly, we are talking about a fake story here. At least, it sure seems like it after reading the original version (if you’re a fan of The Onion, you’ll understand what we’re talking about).
But for a minute or so, a report by EmpireSports.com almost had us believing a report that a driver had won a NASCAR-sanctioned race in Atlanta this week while going backwards.
In what appeared to be a Ricky Bobby story come to life for at least a few moments, the EmpireSports report claimed that with two laps remaining in a “non-televised race,” a driver wrecked and was left facing the wrong way.
With time and laps running out, the driver was left with a predicament:
“Knowing that turning around would take too much time that he didn’t have to spare, the driver threw the car in reverse and continued to race around the track backwards,” the tall tale claimed.
And, gosh darn it, if he didn’t wind up winning the race, too.
But the final paragraph sealed the deal that it was a fake story, claiming “the name of the driver was not released to the press, as officials are still checking their rulebooks to see whether or not the win would count if the car didn’t cross the line nose-first.”
Yes, it was a fake story, but you have to give EmpireSports credit for making it seem believable, but also left us with a real-life question:
What would happen if this really did happen in a NASCAR race?
To read the whole story, and to get a good laugh (check out some of the fan and driver “quotes” in it), click here to read the original EmpireSports.com’s “report.”
While you’re at it, check out a couple of other “Breaking News” stories on the site: the PGA starting its first mini-putt (mini-golf) Masters and North Korea hosting the 2016 Summer Olympics (now, that’s reaaaalllly stretching the truth).
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 0
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1
- IndyCar beats the rain, Castroneves, Penske beats the field in Barber qualifying (VIDEO) 3
- WSR: Rowland wins Formula Renault 3.5 season-opener at Motorland Aragon 0
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0