Jun 13, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
Perhaps feeling good after the announcement of sponsor Farmers Insurance staying on his No. 5 Chevy through 2017, Kasey Kahne threw down a lap of 203.332 miles per hour to lead today’s first Sprint Cup practice session at Michigan International Speedway.
Kahne was one of 21 drivers that broke the 200 mph mark in the opening session. He is looking for his first win of the season this weekend on the two-mile oval.
Chevrolet drivers made up the Top 7 fastest speeds this morning, with Kahne ahead of Hendrick Motorsports teammate Dale Earnhardt Jr., Kurt Busch, Kevin Harvick, rookie Austin Dillon, Jamie McMurray, and Jeff Gordon.
Earnhardt, a two-time winner at Michigan and the Sprint Cup Series’ most recent winner at Pocono, topped out at 202.943 mph in his No. 88 National Guard Chevy.
Team Penske driver and Michigan native Brad Keselowski led the Ford camp by posting a lap of 201.647 miles per hour this morning, good for eighth overall.
Among the other notables: Ryan Newman completed his eventful morning by posting the 14th-fastest time (200.714 mph); Greg Biffle, who won at Michigan last June, was 22nd (199.989); father-to-be Kyle Larson was 24th (199.900); and IndyCar’s Juan Pablo Montoya was 37th (196.603) as he began his first NASCAR weekend of 2014.
The Cup contingent will now get ready for qualifying later this afternoon at 3:40 p.m. ET.
Video from NASCAR America
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 0
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 0
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 0
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 1
- Still searching: Castroneves finishes 14th, falls short of IndyCar title (VIDEO) 1
- Will Power claims 2014 IndyCar title as Tony Kanaan ties season win record in Fontana 1
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. on Tony Stewart’s return to racing: ‘I’m sure that’s where he wants to be’ 0