Kasey Kahne on Kyle Busch: “I don’t care to talk to him”

Jun 13, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT

56th Daytona 500 Getty Images

Last Sunday’s race at Pocono Raceway marked the latest run-in on the track between Kasey Kahne and Kyle Busch. And it’s leading Kahne to give Busch the silent treatment.

Well, the mostly silent treatment.

“[Busch] sent me an e-mail, and texted if I got it, and I told him I did,” Kahne said today according to the Jackson (Mich.) Citizen-Patriot. “I talked through every situation and scenario with him when we’ve had it, and to this day I’ve raced him the exact same way.

I think he was having a bad day, and he just loses it. He did write me an e-mail, but I don’t care any more. I don’t care to talk to him.”

With less than 20 laps to go at Pocono, Busch squeezed Kahne into the wall and touched off an incident that also collected Carl Edwards. A potential Top-10 day for Kahne instead ended with him finishing 42nd.

Kahne and Busch appeared to have settled their differences from one year ago, which saw them have multiple incidents with each other. But the Pocono crash has seemingly re-fueled Kahne’s disdain for the Joe Gibbs Racing driver.

Making him much happier was this morning’s announcement that his No. 5 Chevrolet would continue to enjoy Farmers Insurance sponsorship through the 2017 season.

Whether or not Kahne will be in the No. 5 car for that time period remains to be seen. Kahne’s current deal with Hendrick Motorsports only runs through the end of next year.

He’s hopeful that he can stay in the Hendrick garage, but knows that he has to start getting better results. Kahne’s ill-fated run at Pocono left him 21st in points, and he remains without a win that can put him into the Chase for the Sprint Cup for a third consecutive season.

“We can’t have that,” he said to reporters about his ongoing struggles. “If we can get rid of some of those troubles, I would hope that I would be at Hendrick Motorsports for a long time.

“We have a lot of really good things going on and with a little bit of performance here and there, maybe [negotiations] will come up sooner than later.”

Kahne was fastest in this morning’s first Sprint Cup practice session, turning in a lap at more than 203 miles per hour.

1. coloradobuc - Jun 13, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Can somebody PLEASE get this guy a tissue ? Thank-You

2. techmeister1 - Jun 13, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Until CRASHCAR parks the BRAT Brothers for a season, they are not going to become respectful, responsible adults because they have gotten away with abuse and illegal activities for years. Gibbs could not only park Kyle, he could replace him with a better driver to represent the sponsor. I can’t imagine any sponsor wanting a clueless brat using obscenities one after another on the radio for all fans/world to hear.

As far as Kahne is concerned he’s got 100 times more class than both of the Busch BRATS combined have and the driving talent to back it up. He like many drivers, fans and sponsors have no interest is the BRAT Brothers disingenuous apologies. They all recognize that the BRAT Brothers are great drivers but fall way short of being decent human beings.

• ditto65 - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:01 PM

When it comes to pure talent – getting more out of a car than it has – I want Kyle.

As far as the pearl clutching over Kyle’s language? PaLEASE!

3. rowdyjay - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:04 PM

I would take kyle and kurt on three wheels before i would take kahn on hisbest day.

4. techmeister1 - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Hero worship does not make a man whole.

5. camino409robert1026 - Jun 15, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Time for talking has passed, put his ass in the wall when he is having a good run & maybe he will lay off you Kasey. The Busch brothers have no respect for anyone so you need to rough them up. Just don’t do it when he is having a so so day, take him into the wall when he thinks he is going to win! I don’t look for the coach to put up with him much longer!!!

Today on NASCAR AMERICA