Jun 13, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT
A bit of important business news has emerged from the NASCAR garage with Farmers Insurance announcing a three-year extension of its current pact with juggernaut Hendrick Motorsports.
Farmers primarily backs the team’s No. 5 program for Kasey Kahne and as part of this new agreement, it will serve as that car’s primary sponsor for 12 Sprint Cup races (including the Daytona 500) during the 2015, 2016, and 2017 seasons. In all other races, it will be an associate sponsor.
The insurance company has been involved with sponsoring the No. 5 team since 2011.
“Our partnership with the team at Farmers has been unbelievable,” HMS owner Rick Hendrick said in a statement. “Everything that’s been accomplished in just three years is extremely impressive, and they continue to seek ways to engage our fans and use the sponsorship to improve the lives of others.
“It’s gratifying to see the impact of our two organizations working together, and we look forward to more successes in the coming years.”
For those curious, nothing is mentioned in the Hendrick/Farmers release about Kahne’s own driving contract with HMS beyond the 2015 season.
Last week at Pocono, Kahne was pegged as a dark horse to claim his first win of the year and make the Chase. But on Lap 143 of 160, he hit the wall in Turn 2 and was saddled with a 42nd-place finish; in the aftermath, Kahne put the blame on Kyle Busch for starting the accident.
Currently on the outside looking in with regard to the post-season and with his teammates doing well on the track, today’s Farmers announcement could give Kahne an even greater urgency to get better results.
- Report: Alex Zanardi keen to make Indianapolis 500 debut 1
- Ten with Townsend: Milwaukee and Iowa debrief 0
- For Dixon, it’s likely Mid-Ohio or bust in terms of 2015 IndyCar title hopes 0
- Race Recap: Vettel draws level with Senna on all-time win list with victory in Hungary 3
- NHRA Mile-High Nationals winners: Torrence, Beckman, Morgan, Krawiec 2
- F1 grid unites to pay tribute to Jules Bianchi (VIDEO) 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Hungarian GP post-race (VIDEO) 1