Jun 13, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
The Richard Childress Racing driver was set to fly up to MIS this morning with Earnhardt. But as it turns out, Earnhardt forgot about that and left without Newman.
Here’s what Junior tweeted from earlier this morning:
Earnhardt’s road manager, Mike Hoag, got a text from Newman:
The good news is that Newman ended up hitching a ride with Dale Jarrett to Michigan. That allowed him to not miss any track time.
After today’s Sprint Cup practice session, Newman said that he had spoken to Earnhardt on Monday about bumming a ride from him since his family was flying up on his own plane.
“He said ‘Yeah, no problem,'” Newman recalled. “I double-checked and made sure that we were 8:30 Friday morning and everything was good because it was pretty much the last ride that I thought was going to go out to come up here.
“It was convenient and we were flying into the same airport and we were supposed to leave at 8:30 and I showed up before 8:30 and his truck was there and the airplane was gone.
Luckily, after a quick drive across the airport, Newman came across Jarrett’s plane.
“I walked in and Dale wasn’t there yet, but his pilots were. And I said, ‘I’m hoping you guys are going to Michigan, right?’ And they said yes and so I bummed a ride,” he said.
“It was extravagantly convenient and lucky at the same time.”
- Hamilton may have won again, but it was Raikkonen and Rosberg who stood out in Bahrain 5
- Scott Dixon breaks through for elusive Long Beach win 2
- Hamilton pleased to fend off Ferrari in Bahrain despite last lap brake scare 1
- Hamilton puts on a show under the lights to win Bahrain GP 6
- Off The Grid: Melbourne premieres 1:30pm ET on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 1
- Hamilton eases to fourth straight pole position in Bahrain 0