Jun 13, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Daniel Ricciardo is hoping to keep the momentum that he gained in Canada going at next weekend’s Austrian Grand Prix.
The Red Bull driver claimed a shock victory in Montreal after capitalizing on problems for both Mercedes cars. Race leader Nico Rosberg hit trouble at two-thirds distance, allowing the pack to close. Ricciardo managed to make the move for a lead with three laps remaining, and secured his maiden victory in the sport.
Heading to his team’s home race in Austria, Ricciardo is hoping that he can keep things going in the right direction despite having little experience at the Red Bull Ring.
“It’s great to be going to Red Bull’s home race after an awesome weekend in Canada,” Ricciardo said. “I’ve only driven the Red Bull Ring on filming days, essentially a handful of laps without the out-and-out aggression that you’ll see at the Austrian Grand Prix weekend. It’s a tidy circuit, not the longest and not many corners, but what is there is good.
“It’s very odd going to what, essentially, is a new race but in a place where the racing history is firmly established. It sounds as though there will be a massive crowd up in the mountains and I’m sure the return of the Austrian Grand Prix will get off to a really good start.”
The Austrian Grand Prix’s return has been brokered by Red Bull supremo Dietrich Mateschitz, who also owns the circuit in Spielberg. It will be Red Bull’s first ever home grand prix since debuting back in 2005, and both Ricciardo and teammate Sebastian Vettel will be hoping to make it a weekend to remember.
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 0
- Hamilton weathers the storm to claim third British GP victory at Silverstone 0
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 3
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0
- Rosberg fastest once again in second British GP practice 0