Jun 14, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Two-time Formula 1 world champion Fernando Alonso has revealed that he wants to race in the 24 Hours of Le Mans one day, having attended the historic race for the first time this year.
The Ferrari driver had the honor of starting the 82nd running of the 24 hour race today, dropping the French tricolore at 3pm local time to send the 56 runners on their way.
However, just one day after Ferrari rejected rumors suggesting that it may turn its attention away from F1 and to endurance racing, Alonso has revealed that he wants to race at the Circuit de la Sarthe one day.
“Well I’m the first time here for me, so it’s a completely new experience, and try to enjoy this weekend that I’m not in the car, and let these guys compete,” he told Eurosport on the grid ahead of the race.
“It’s a race that’s very attractive for all of the drivers, it’s very prestigious, so yes, I think one day before later I’ll come here.”
A number of Formula 1 drivers have moved into endurance racing at the end of their careers. Most famously, former Red Bull driver Mark Webber walked away from the sport at the end of last season to join Porsche, and is racing in the German marque’s #20 car in today’s race.
Bruno Senna, Karun Chandhok, Alexander Wurz, Anthony Davidson, Nick Heidfeld and Giancarlo Fisichella are just some of the former F1 drivers also racing in this year’s event.
For rolling updates from the Circuit de la Sarthe, be sure to visit MotorSportsTalk’s live blog by clicking here.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA’s Media Tour coverage continues at 4:30 p.m. ET 0
- LeBron James’ agent involved in Darrell Wallace Jr.’s hunt for sponsorship 1
- Sponsorship woes leave Jeb Burton scrambling again for a NASCAR ride 3
- Sprint Cup champ Kevin Harvick: “I’m as comfortable as I’ve ever been” 0
- Danica Patrick enters final year of contract but wants to stay at Stewart-Haas 13
- Start times for 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races 9
- Bowyer on Gordon: “You’re never good with somebody when it got that ugly” 25