Jun 14, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Kyle Busch waited until the last minute and needed just one lap to earn the pole for Saturday’s Ollie’s Bargain Outlet 250 NASCAR Nationwide Series Race at Michigan International Speedway.
Busch recorded the fourth-fastest qualifying speed in NNS history, covering the two-mile, high-speed MIS surface with a track record at 193.242 mph (at 37.259 seconds).
It was Busch’s first NNS pole at Michigan.
“Just being a little bit further back in line helped out a little bit, but we have a fast race car and were able to hold the pedal down much of the way around,” Busch said. “Being able to do all that, putting it all together, just worked in our favor.”
Sixth through 12th-fastest were Brian Scott (192.041), Dylan Kwasniewski (191.857), Regan Smith (191.505), Joey Logano (191.123), Chris Buescher (184.895), Dale Earnhardt Jr. (158.541) and Elliott Sadler.
Sadler did not record a speed in the third and final round of knockout qualifying because his Toyota Camry brushed the outside retaining wall while making his attempt.
Here’s the starting lineup for Saturday’s Ollie’s Bargain Outlet 250 at Michigan International Speedway:
Row 1 Kyle Busch, Chase Elliott
Row 2 Ty Dillon, Kyle Larson
Row 3 Paul Menard, Brian Scott
Row 4 Dylan Kwasniewski, Regan Smith
Row 5 Joey Logano, Chris Buescher
Row 6 Dale Earnhardt Jr., Elliot Sadler
Row 19 Ryan Ellis, Harrison Rhodes
DNQ: Matt DiBenedetto, Morgan Schepherd
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Castroneves secures crucial MAVTV 500 pole; Power starts P21 for IndyCar finale 0
- Jeff Gordon: Last 3 races weren’t the same without Tony Stewart 1
- IndyCar has 500 miles to glory, through speed, dirt, tire fall off and unpredictability 0
- How NASCAR determined Tony Stewart was ready to race again 3
- Helton: Tony Stewart still eligible for Chase, but must win to get in 2
- Sheriff: Stewart crash investigation to continue “for at least another 2 weeks” 8
- Kurt Busch, Danica Patrick glad to see boss, teammate and friend Tony Stewart back in race car 0