Jun 14, 2014, 12:10 PM EST
Kyle Busch waited until the last minute and needed just one lap to earn the pole for Saturday’s Ollie’s Bargain Outlet 250 NASCAR Nationwide Series Race at Michigan International Speedway.
Busch recorded the fourth-fastest qualifying speed in NNS history, covering the two-mile, high-speed MIS surface with a track record at 193.242 mph (at 37.259 seconds).
It was Busch’s first NNS pole at Michigan.
“Just being a little bit further back in line helped out a little bit, but we have a fast race car and were able to hold the pedal down much of the way around,” Busch said. “Being able to do all that, putting it all together, just worked in our favor.”
Sixth through 12th-fastest were Brian Scott (192.041), Dylan Kwasniewski (191.857), Regan Smith (191.505), Joey Logano (191.123), Chris Buescher (184.895), Dale Earnhardt Jr. (158.541) and Elliott Sadler.
Sadler did not record a speed in the third and final round of knockout qualifying because his Toyota Camry brushed the outside retaining wall while making his attempt.
Here’s the starting lineup for Saturday’s Ollie’s Bargain Outlet 250 at Michigan International Speedway:
Row 1 Kyle Busch, Chase Elliott
Row 2 Ty Dillon, Kyle Larson
Row 3 Paul Menard, Brian Scott
Row 4 Dylan Kwasniewski, Regan Smith
Row 5 Joey Logano, Chris Buescher
Row 6 Dale Earnhardt Jr., Elliot Sadler
Row 19 Ryan Ellis, Harrison Rhodes
DNQ: Matt DiBenedetto, Morgan Schepherd
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA’s Media Tour coverage continues at 4:30 p.m. ET 0
- LeBron James’ agent involved in Darrell Wallace Jr.’s hunt for sponsorship 1
- Sponsorship woes leave Jeb Burton scrambling again for a NASCAR ride 3
- Sprint Cup champ Kevin Harvick: “I’m as comfortable as I’ve ever been” 0
- Danica Patrick enters final year of contract but wants to stay at Stewart-Haas 13
- Start times for 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races 9
- Bowyer on Gordon: “You’re never good with somebody when it got that ugly” 25