Jun 14, 2014, 1:37 PM EDT
Kyle Larson was the fastest of the 43-driver field in Saturday afternoon’s final NASCAR Sprint Cup practice for Sunday’s Quicken Loans 400 at Michigan International Speedway.
Larson’s fastest Happy Hour lap was 198.424 mph (at 36.286 seconds).
“I feel like we made really big gains in our Target Chevy throughout the weekend,” Larson told FoxSports1. “Yesterday in practice, I didn’t think we were good at all, and the guys did a good job to turn that thing around.
“Now I feel like we can maneuver around the track pretty well and we have some speed. … Hopefully, we should be good tomorrow.”
Of note, there was no Ford drivers among the fastest 10 in the final practice session. Brad Keselowski was the fastest Ford driver with the 14th-best speed.
Austin Dillon was 11th-fastest (197.077), followed by Paul Menard (196.990), Jamie McMurray (196.931), Brad Keselowski (196.823), Ryan Newman (196.743), Justin Allgaier (196.641), Brett Moffitt (196.501), Marcos Ambrose (196.399), AJ Allmendinger (196.362) and Danica Patrick (196.239).
Carl Edwards weekend struggles continued in the final practice, managing to be only 33rd-fastest at 194.663 mph.
“I wouldn’t call that struggling a little bit, we’re in a little bit of trouble,” Edwards said. “The good thing is we’re better than we were and my guys never give up.
“But man, this is tough. We’re off quite a bit and we’re trying to figure out what it is. … This is such a fun racetrack, it means a lot in Ford’s and Roush’s backyard to do well here, so hopefully we can figure it out.”
Late in the session, David Stremme suffered some type of motor issue that produced smoke from his exhaust and sent him directly to the garage for repairs.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 0
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 0
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 1
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 1
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 2
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0