Jun 14, 2014, 2:31 PM EST
But do “Awesome Bill” and Junior themselves remember what they were like at that age?
A recent clip from sponsor NAPA humorously answers that question by having Earnhardt wear a mullet and high school letterman’s jacket, while Bill rocks bell-bottoms and long, flowing red hair.
Obviously, different eras have their own signature styles. And apparently in Earnhardt’s case, his 18-year-old look was not always easy to attain.
“Me and my sister used to bleach our jeans in the tub with rubber bands,” he says in a separate, behind-the-scenes clip. “We’d take ‘em outside on the brick walk and drag ‘em across the bricks, and do whatever we had to do to look however we thought we needed to look.”
Bill, on the other hand, simply didn’t bother going to the barber shop for a haircut.
“Back then in that era, nobody did,” he says in reference to the late 1960s and early 1970s that he grew up in.
And what does Chase think of their former fashions?
“It’s hilarious,” he said dryly. “Their dressing is pretty epic, for sure.”
You can check out the two clips below.
Video from NASCAR America
- Police seek cause of death of race fan found near Talladega 0
- MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy 0
- What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014 1
- Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports 5
- NBCSN’s F1 coverage delivers best ever single-season numbers for a cable network 6
- Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014 0
- Jean-Eric Vergne confirms Toro Rosso exit 3