Jun 14, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
But do “Awesome Bill” and Junior themselves remember what they were like at that age?
A recent clip from sponsor NAPA humorously answers that question by having Earnhardt wear a mullet and high school letterman’s jacket, while Bill rocks bell-bottoms and long, flowing red hair.
Obviously, different eras have their own signature styles. And apparently in Earnhardt’s case, his 18-year-old look was not always easy to attain.
“Me and my sister used to bleach our jeans in the tub with rubber bands,” he says in a separate, behind-the-scenes clip. “We’d take ’em outside on the brick walk and drag ’em across the bricks, and do whatever we had to do to look however we thought we needed to look.”
Bill, on the other hand, simply didn’t bother going to the barber shop for a haircut.
“Back then in that era, nobody did,” he says in reference to the late 1960s and early 1970s that he grew up in.
And what does Chase think of their former fashions?
“It’s hilarious,” he said dryly. “Their dressing is pretty epic, for sure.”
You can check out the two clips below.
- Rosberg fastest once again in second British GP practice 0
- Rosberg tops FP1 at Silverstone after gearbox change 0
- NHRA: Tony Pedregon hopes to keep momentum going in Norwalk 0
- NHRA: New president Peter Clifford full of ideas to get drag racing back on-track 7
- Ryan Briscoe making most of filling in for James Hinchcliffe 0
- F1 Strategy Group pushing through technical revolution for 2017, other changes planned as early as Belgian GP 4
- 2015 British Grand Prix Preview 1