Jun 14, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Speed will not a problem at Michigan International Speedway for Hendrick Motorsports.
Three Hendrick drivers are starting in the first four rows for Sunday’s Quicken Loans 400, and this morning in Sprint Cup practice, three Hendrick drivers were among the Top 5 fastest speeds.
Gordon decided to end his practice early, later telling Fox Sports that they didn’t want to overtax his No. 24 Chevy.
“I think we’re just kind of looking at the big picture here of what we’re going to be tuning for in the race, which we feel like that next practice is going to be a lot closer to those race conditions,” he said.
“[Then there’s] reliability. We’re just recognizing that reliability here, even though it’s just 400 miles, it’s going to be crucial. So we didn’t want to put too many laps on it.”
Sunday’s polesitter, Kevin Harvick, was third-fastest for Stewart Haas Racing with a lap of 201.556 mph. Then came Ganassi rookie Kyle Larson in fourth (201.489) and another HMS driver, Kasey Kahne (201.354) in fifth.
Final Sprint Cup practice will take place later today at 12:30 p.m. ET.
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 0
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 0
- Hamilton weathers the storm to claim third British GP victory at Silverstone 1
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 3
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0