Jun 14, 2014, 12:49 PM EDT
Rookie Cole Custer shot to the top of the speed charts in the final NASCAR Camping World Truck Series practice Saturday morning at Gateway Motorsports Park.
Custer is just 16 years old and is a development driver for Haas Automation, a division of Stewart-Haas Racing.
Turning a best lap of 136.786 mph, Custer was the fastest of the 28 drivers that took to the Madison, Illinois track, which hosts the race later tonight starting at 8:30 pm ET.
Chase Pistone was second-fastest (136.562), followed by Darrell Wallace Jr. (136.542), Erik Jones (136.281), Gray Gaulding (136.046), Joey Coulter (135.874), Matt Crafton (135.820), Johnny Sauter (135.747), Ron Hornaday Jr. (135.277) and John Hunter Nemechek (135.204).
Struggling for speed were the two slowest drivers in practice, Jennifer Jo Cobb (124.464 mph) and NCWTS rookie Charles Lewandoski (123.254).
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- INDYCAR confirms more aero kit updates coming to Long Beach 0
- Rocky Moran Jr. to replace Huertas in Coyne’s No. 18 for Long Beach 7
- Rosberg heads up Mercedes one-two in Bahrain FP2 1
- Kimi Raikkonen quickest in first practice for Bahrain GP 2
- F1 Paddock Pass: Bahrain Grand Prix (VIDEO) 1
- 2015 Bahrain Grand Prix Preview 0
- Preview: Anyone’s game as IndyCar heads to historic Long Beach 1