Jun 15, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
Today’s Quicken Loans 400 for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series has begun with a first-lap crash that ruined the day of dark horse Brian Vickers.
The car then slid down the track in Turn 4 and into Travis Kvapil, who was already in the inside grass in an ill-fated bid to avoid the No. 55.
“I just lost it,” he told TNT after being released from Michigan International Speedway’s care center. “I have no idea what happened or why. The car just got really loose into [Turn 3] and I chased it all the way up to the wall. I thought I had it saved and then it just came all the way around.”
Vickers had been one of the quicker drivers this weekend at MIS outside of the dominant, Hendrick-powered Chevrolet racers.
But instead, today appears as if it will mark his third consecutive subpar finish after a 43rd at Dover (engine failure) and a 19th last weekend at Pocono.
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 0
- Hamilton weathers the storm to claim third British GP victory at Silverstone 0
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 3
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0
- Rosberg fastest once again in second British GP practice 0