Jun 15, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
Today’s Quicken Loans 400 for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series has begun with a first-lap crash that ruined the day of dark horse Brian Vickers.
The car then slid down the track in Turn 4 and into Travis Kvapil, who was already in the inside grass in an ill-fated bid to avoid the No. 55.
“I just lost it,” he told TNT after being released from Michigan International Speedway’s care center. “I have no idea what happened or why. The car just got really loose into [Turn 3] and I chased it all the way up to the wall. I thought I had it saved and then it just came all the way around.”
Vickers had been one of the quicker drivers this weekend at MIS outside of the dominant, Hendrick-powered Chevrolet racers.
But instead, today appears as if it will mark his third consecutive subpar finish after a 43rd at Dover (engine failure) and a 19th last weekend at Pocono.
- For Dixon, it’s likely Mid-Ohio or bust in terms of 2015 IndyCar title hopes 0
- Race Recap: Vettel draws level with Senna on all-time win list with victory in Hungary 1
- NHRA Mile-High Nationals winners: Torrence, Beckman, Morgan, Krawiec 2
- F1 grid unites to pay tribute to Jules Bianchi (VIDEO) 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Hungarian GP post-race (VIDEO) 1
- Vettel dedicates Hungarian GP win to Jules Bianchi 2
- Vettel storms to victory in Hungary as Hamilton and Rosberg hit trouble 9