Jun 15, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Sebastian Vettel is looking forward to Formula 1’s return to Austria next weekend, for what will be his first grand prix at the Red Bull Ring.
The German driver made his F1 debut four years after Austria’s last grand prix, which was held in 2003. Since then, the sport has transformed, with Vettel being part of the new generation of drivers. At the age of 26, he has already secured himself a place in the history of the sport, but racing in Austria will rekindle some fond memories of his junior racing days.
“I have great memories of the Red Bull Ring,” Vettel explained. “I was 13 years old when I first drove around it. I had the chance to test a Formula car from the Auinger family. That is a huge step if you’re coming from a karting background. It was something completely new and it took me a while to get used to it. I’m really happy that we will race there.
“The circuit is actually very pretty, not only the track, but the whole area. The circuit’s set amid a beautiful natural landscape. There are not many distractions there – it’s just about racing.
“The Red Bull Ring is a short track, with only a few turns, but it’s very challenging. There are also a lot of elevation changes, which makes it interesting and fun. The fans will have a great time as every grandstand offers a great view of the circuit.”
A new race in Europe came as something of a surprise given Formula 1’s global outlook, but it has certainly gone down well in all corners of the sport’s community. Tickets for the race sold out in just 48 hours, and the event promises to be a fascinating one in the wake of Red Bull’s shock victory at the Canadian Grand Prix last time out.
- Practice setbacks leave Hamilton “quite a bit off” in Malaysia (VIDEO) 2
- Verizon IndyCar Series 2015 preseason content roundup 0
- Hamilton hits back by topping second practice in Malaysia 0
- Rosberg quickest in Malaysia FP1 as Hamilton hits trouble 2
- Now IndyCar’s champion, Will Power’s mindset hasn’t changed heading into 2015 0
- Alonso moves to clear up testing crash conspiracy theories 2
- NHRA Funny Car driver Cruz Pedregon trades seats for a day with NASCAR counterpart Joey Logano 2