Sorry Las Vegas, Homestead-Miami and Ford extend season-ending championship weekend through at least 2019
Jun 15, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
Any hope that Speedway Motorsports Inc. CEO Bruton Smith had of moving the season-ending NASCAR Sprint Cup race to Las Vegas Motor Speedway in 2015 ended Sunday.
Smith has sought to prod NASCAR to move the season finale to Las Vegas, given that Homestead-Miami Speedway’s agreement with Ford was due to expire at the end of this season.
Officials from Ford and HMS announced Sunday morning prior to the Quicken Loans 400 at Michigan International Speedway that the south Florida 1.5-mile track will continue to host the season-ending races for all three series through 2019, with an option to extend the agreement through 2024.
Ford has hosted the championship-deciding races in the Camping World Truck Series, Nationwide Series and Sprint Cup Series at Homestead-Miami since 2002.
“While many things have changed in those 13 years, one thing has remained constant and that’s the fantastic partnership that we have with Ford Motor Company,” HMS president Matt Becherer said.
“Whether you’re talking about the celebrity involvement, whether you’re talking about their best-in-class display that anchors our midway, or the iconic flags that are pulled behind the Ford trucks at the conclusion of the national anthem, there’s no doubt in our fan’s mind that we do everything possible to make Ford Championship Weekend a top-notch championship event.
“It’s for that reason I am thrilled to announce that Homestead-Miami Speedway and Ford Motor Company have extended their relationship on Ford Championship Weekend through 2019, with an option to continue through 2024.”
With the new extension in place, Ford hopes to change that in this year’s season finale, particularly with the expanded and revamped Chase for the Sprint Cup format.
“I was there last year at Homestead-Miami Speedway and I’ll be there again this year to hopefully celebrate a Ford blue oval in the championship circle,” said Joe Hinrichs, Executive Vice Present/President of the Americas, Ford Motor Company.
“We think Ford Championship Weekend sets up now and into the future as an even bigger event with the new Chase format and the excitement around qualifying … and then of course the race itself and crowning a champion.”
When NASCAR and sister company International Speedway Corp. both agreed to keeping the season’s final race at Homestead, that sealed the deal for Ford and HMS to put a deal together – much to the chagrin of Las Vegas or any other potential suitors for the annual season-ending race.
“We’ve spent the better part of a year renegotiating this extension and we would not have expended the time and energy that we did had we thought there was any chance that the championship could be leaving Miami in the near future,” Becherer said. “… The reality is we would not have gone down the path we did if we thought there was a chance that it would leave. And frankly it shouldn’t leave.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 0
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 1
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 2
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1