Jun 16, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
One day after famed NASCAR engine builder and team owner Ray Fox passed away at the age of 98 in Daytona Beach, Florida, the sanctioning body has released a statement regarding his death:
“Ray Fox was one of the individuals who helped form the foundation of our sport, with a personality that was every bit as important as his on-track accomplishments.
“His place in our record book is secure, but no one should ever view Ray Fox solely in terms of statistics. A resident of Daytona Beach, Florida, he was a hometown hero of sorts, serving as an ambassador for NASCAR in the community where the sport began. Most importantly, he was a friend to us all.
“Several years ago, he said he could still build a competitive NASCAR Sprint Cup Series engine, if asked. If he had indeed been asked, in all likelihood, he would’ve delivered.
“Of course, Ray Fox had already delivered, with accomplishments and memories that will forever serve NASCAR well.”
Fox helped NASCAR legends such as Junior Johnson, David Pearson, and Buck Baker win some of the sport’s most important events.
In Fox-built cars, Johnson won the 1960 Daytona 500 and Pearson won the 1961 Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte. Three years later, Baker took a Fox-owned car to Victory Lane in the 1964 Southern 500 at Darlington.
In addition, Fox served his country as a member of the U.S. Army in World War II before he transitioned to his career in stock car racing.
He has been a nominee for the NASCAR Hall of Fame in each of the last three years.
- Bell: “Carb Day is many things to many people; mine was many jobs” 0
- Texas Motor Speedway president Eddie Gossage plans to talk with IndyCar about potential changes to cars 3
- Hamilton storms to first Monaco GP pole position 0
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari in final practice for Monaco GP 0
- Chip Ganassi lobbying for IndyCar schedule changes 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar, Indy Lights Carb Day (11 a.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- IndyCar driver raises concern about design of wishbone that injured James Hinchcliffe in crash 4