Jun 17, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Although Caterham F1 already has Robin Frijns and Alexander Rossi on its bench, it’s got another youngster to keep an eye on in the form of Englishman Will Stevens, who’s competing in Formula Renault 3.5 this year.
Stevens will have a go in the Caterham CT05 chassis on July 8 at the Silverstone test, which comes just after the British Grand Prix. It’ll be his first run in an F1 car in a year.
“It’ll be great to be back in an F1 car for the first time since the 2013 Silverstone test and with the amount of time I’ve already spent in the virtual car in the simulator, I can’t wait to see how it compares to the real thing,” said Stevens in a team release. “I’m sure we’ll have a busy run plan set for the day and my focus will be on doing the best job I can for the team, building on the work I’ve been doing all year in the sim at Leafield.”
Stevens ranks fourth in FR3.5 thus far with a win and two other podiums. As Frijns and Rossi are targeting F1 race seats next year, chances are Stevens is about 2-3 years away from arriving in F1 at the moment. At the very least, it’s a chance for actual seat time.
- DiZinno: Daytona fence crash ripple effect could extend to other motorsports 2
- Ten with Townsend: Red Bull GRC 4 races in, post-MCAS New River 0
- Smiling Through the Rain: Silverstone proved that it isn’t all doom and gloom in F1 1
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 2
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 1