Jun 17, 2014, 8:12 PM EDT
Fresh off his third victory of the season last weekend at Michigan, six-time and defending Sprint Cup champion Jimmie Johnson was feted in his hometown of El Cajon, California this afternoon.
NBC 7 San Diego reports that in a public celebration, June 17 was declared “Jimmie Johnson Day” in the state of California. In addition to bringing El Cajon some exposure through his racing efforts, Johnson has also provided the town with philanthropic help through the foundation that bears his name.
Johnson also received other honors as well today in El Cajon. A stretch of road has now been designated Jimmie Johnson Drive, and he also received an acoustic guitar sporting his classic No. 48.
Afterwards, Johnson thanked everyone for their support on his Instagram account: “It’s not everyday you get a street named after you, a guitar to the city and the day proclaimed as Jimmie Johnson day. What an event and thank you to all of the fans, the city of El Cajon and the State of California.”
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1
- IndyCar beats the rain, Castroneves, Penske beats the field in Barber qualifying (VIDEO) 3
- WSR: Rowland wins Formula Renault 3.5 season-opener at Motorland Aragon 0
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0
- Ryan Hunter-Reay looks to right 2015 season by completing winning trilogy at Barber Motorsports Park 0