Jun 17, 2014, 8:12 PM EST
Fresh off his third victory of the season last weekend at Michigan, six-time and defending Sprint Cup champion Jimmie Johnson was feted in his hometown of El Cajon, California this afternoon.
NBC 7 San Diego reports that in a public celebration, June 17 was declared “Jimmie Johnson Day” in the state of California. In addition to bringing El Cajon some exposure through his racing efforts, Johnson has also provided the town with philanthropic help through the foundation that bears his name.
Johnson also received other honors as well today in El Cajon. A stretch of road has now been designated Jimmie Johnson Drive, and he also received an acoustic guitar sporting his classic No. 48.
Afterwards, Johnson thanked everyone for their support on his Instagram account: “It’s not everyday you get a street named after you, a guitar to the city and the day proclaimed as Jimmie Johnson day. What an event and thank you to all of the fans, the city of El Cajon and the State of California.”
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 1
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1