Jun 17, 2014, 8:12 PM EDT
Fresh off his third victory of the season last weekend at Michigan, six-time and defending Sprint Cup champion Jimmie Johnson was feted in his hometown of El Cajon, California this afternoon.
NBC 7 San Diego reports that in a public celebration, June 17 was declared “Jimmie Johnson Day” in the state of California. In addition to bringing El Cajon some exposure through his racing efforts, Johnson has also provided the town with philanthropic help through the foundation that bears his name.
Johnson also received other honors as well today in El Cajon. A stretch of road has now been designated Jimmie Johnson Drive, and he also received an acoustic guitar sporting his classic No. 48.
Afterwards, Johnson thanked everyone for their support on his Instagram account: “It’s not everyday you get a street named after you, a guitar to the city and the day proclaimed as Jimmie Johnson day. What an event and thank you to all of the fans, the city of El Cajon and the State of California.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 1
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 5