Jun 17, 2014, 8:12 PM EDT
Fresh off his third victory of the season last weekend at Michigan, six-time and defending Sprint Cup champion Jimmie Johnson was feted in his hometown of El Cajon, California this afternoon.
NBC 7 San Diego reports that in a public celebration, June 17 was declared “Jimmie Johnson Day” in the state of California. In addition to bringing El Cajon some exposure through his racing efforts, Johnson has also provided the town with philanthropic help through the foundation that bears his name.
Johnson also received other honors as well today in El Cajon. A stretch of road has now been designated Jimmie Johnson Drive, and he also received an acoustic guitar sporting his classic No. 48.
Afterwards, Johnson thanked everyone for their support on his Instagram account: “It’s not everyday you get a street named after you, a guitar to the city and the day proclaimed as Jimmie Johnson day. What an event and thank you to all of the fans, the city of El Cajon and the State of California.”
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: FP2 for the Singapore Grand Prix 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Singapore Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Singapore GP 0
- Michael Waltrip challenges Dale Jr. to go Dancing With The Stars 1
- IndyCar: Brasilia, Brazil race confirmed for March 8, 2015 1
- F1’s Modern Wonder: Under the lights, Singapore shines brightly 0
- 2014 Singapore Grand Prix Preview 0