Jun 17, 2014, 8:12 PM EST
Fresh off his third victory of the season last weekend at Michigan, six-time and defending Sprint Cup champion Jimmie Johnson was feted in his hometown of El Cajon, California this afternoon.
NBC 7 San Diego reports that in a public celebration, June 17 was declared “Jimmie Johnson Day” in the state of California. In addition to bringing El Cajon some exposure through his racing efforts, Johnson has also provided the town with philanthropic help through the foundation that bears his name.
Johnson also received other honors as well today in El Cajon. A stretch of road has now been designated Jimmie Johnson Drive, and he also received an acoustic guitar sporting his classic No. 48.
Afterwards, Johnson thanked everyone for their support on his Instagram account: “It’s not everyday you get a street named after you, a guitar to the city and the day proclaimed as Jimmie Johnson day. What an event and thank you to all of the fans, the city of El Cajon and the State of California.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 0
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 0
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0
- Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi 2
- Force India confirms Sergio Perez on multi-year deal 2