Jun 17, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Got tens of thousands of dollars on you? If so, you could buy yourself the car that finished second in the 2011 Indianapolis 500.
After losing the National Guard sponsorship over the off-season, Panther Racing was unable to answer the bell for the 2014 Verizon IndyCar Series season.
One of its former chassis was used in this year’s Indianapolis 500 by James Davison and KV Racing Technology.
But Panther, the two-time series champions, still have some equipment left to sell and they’re putting it all up on eBay – including the aforementioned 2011 ‘500’ runner-up driven by J.R. Hildebrand (opening bid: $40,000).
The Hildebrand chassis pretty much comes with everything short of a Honda engine (although it does have the installation kit for such a powerplant).
Ditto for Panther’s 2009 ‘500’ chassis, which was driven by the late Dan Wheldon and is also up for sale with opening bids starting at $35,000.
Other items in the sale include: A running Buick V6-powered Lola from 1991, a shock dyno, three Chevrolet Gen II engines, and one Chevrolet Gen III engine.
So, if you’re a diehard IndyCar fan willing to spend lots of cash for a collectable or know a vintage racer that could use some new equipment, this may be a good opportunity for you.
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach and Barber debrief 0
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 1
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 12
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0