Jun 17, 2014, 9:09 AM EDT
One of the drivers involved in the heavy series of accidents during the week of practice and qualifying at Le Mans, AF Corse’s James Calado, has been released from hospital in France as of Tuesday.
Calado had an accident on Thursday, June 12, at the Porsche Curves in his No. 71 Ferrari F458 Italia. The sports car rookie and GP2 Series graduate was knocked out and tweeted the next day he had a brain hemorrhage:
I can’t be at Le Mans to watch my team.Unfortunately I have a brain haemorrhage and will need to stay in hospital.Hopefully just a few days
— James Calado (@JamesCalado) June 13, 2014
Although that language was severe, a media contact for the FIA World Endurance Championship said that was a bit exaggerated and that Calado was more just “out of it.” He was recovering well, and already itching to be back in the car that Pierre Kaffer took over alongside co-drivers Davide Rigon and Olivier Beretta. Calado clarified his comments later on race day, Saturday, June 14.
As bad as it sounds I feel fine. The French doctors are doing a great job in managing my condition… Already want to get back in the car!!
— James Calado (@JamesCalado) June 14, 2014
After a three-day diet of “bread and cheese for breakfast, lunch and dinner,” Calado has now been released. And he’s only upgrading slightly from the two French staples for his next meal choice.
Released from hospital…! First stop… @McDonalds
— James Calado (@JamesCalado) June 17, 2014
Calado should be back in the No. 71 car for the next FIA WEC round at Circuit of the Americas on Saturday, Sept. 20.
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 0
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 0
- Hamilton weathers the storm to claim third British GP victory at Silverstone 1
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 3
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0