Jun 17, 2014, 9:09 AM EST
One of the drivers involved in the heavy series of accidents during the week of practice and qualifying at Le Mans, AF Corse’s James Calado, has been released from hospital in France as of Tuesday.
Calado had an accident on Thursday, June 12, at the Porsche Curves in his No. 71 Ferrari F458 Italia. The sports car rookie and GP2 Series graduate was knocked out and tweeted the next day he had a brain hemorrhage:
I can’t be at Le Mans to watch my team.Unfortunately I have a brain haemorrhage and will need to stay in hospital.Hopefully just a few days
— James Calado (@JamesCalado) June 13, 2014
Although that language was severe, a media contact for the FIA World Endurance Championship said that was a bit exaggerated and that Calado was more just “out of it.” He was recovering well, and already itching to be back in the car that Pierre Kaffer took over alongside co-drivers Davide Rigon and Olivier Beretta. Calado clarified his comments later on race day, Saturday, June 14.
As bad as it sounds I feel fine. The French doctors are doing a great job in managing my condition… Already want to get back in the car!!
— James Calado (@JamesCalado) June 14, 2014
After a three-day diet of “bread and cheese for breakfast, lunch and dinner,” Calado has now been released. And he’s only upgrading slightly from the two French staples for his next meal choice.
Released from hospital…! First stop… @McDonalds
— James Calado (@JamesCalado) June 17, 2014
Calado should be back in the No. 71 car for the next FIA WEC round at Circuit of the Americas on Saturday, Sept. 20.
Video from NASCAR America
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 2
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 1
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 53
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1