Jun 17, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series will be going road racing this weekend, but for the last two days, several drivers have been at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway to take part in a Goodyear tire test.
The series will visit IMS on July 27 for the Crown Royal Presents The John Wayne Walding 400 at the Brickyard – or, more colloquially, the Brickyard 400.
According to the Indianapolis Star, conditions for today’s activities were warm and humid – perhaps a solid indicator of what the drivers will be expecting next month.
Among those taking part was Indiana native and Richard Childress Racing driver Ryan Newman, who won last year’s Brickyard for Stewart-Haas Racing.
Obviously, Newman is hoping for more success at IMS with RCR.
“We were blessed last year to have a good qualifying effort,” Newman told the Star about last year’s win. “We had good track position and kept it all race long. I think we never fell back past seventh.
“I knew what my race car felt like. That’s what I have to work on this year, to make my race car feel like [that]. We’ve had a good test so far. I feel like our speed is pretty good. The temperature changes so much it’s hard to keep up with sometimes.”
Today did not go without incident, however. An Instagram photo taken by Stewart Haas Racing engineer Chris Chidgey revealed that Stewart went into the Turn 1 wall after blowing a right-front tire.
Luckily, Chidgey relays word that Stewart is okay after the wreck.
NASCAR.com has since reported that Stewart’s crash took place during a part of the session that was closed to media and that “transportation by paramedics was not necessary.” However, “Smoke” did talk with NASCAR medical personnel.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA recaps day of survival in N.H. at 4:30 p.m. ET 0
- Lotterer: “F1 (racing) isn’t what it used to be anymore” 0
- Joey Logano avoids “yellow fever,” wins at N.H. to advance in Chase 3
- Wreck involves several Chase drivers; Keselowski spins, suffers minor damage 1
- Rosberg reflects on a tough day in Singapore (VIDEO) 2
- Reports: 2015 Sprint Cup rules package expected to be released on Tuesday 2
- Hamilton rules in Singapore to re-take championship lead as Rosberg retires 1