Jun 17, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
While NASCAR’s Nationwide Series races at Road America this Saturday, one of the series on the undercards is the Pirelli World Challenge Championships with a doubleheader weekend of its own for all six of its categories.
One of the cars to watch – perhaps the car to watch within PWC GT this weekend – is the debuting Bentley Continental GT3, in the hands of Dyson Racing with Team Bentley. It had its first test at the track this month.
Dyson veteran Butch Leitzinger will be behind the wheel of the No. 08 Bentley/Breitling/Mobil 1 Bentley Continental GT3 at a track where he has excelled in the past. He has two sports car class victories at the Elkhart Lake road course, most recently in the American Le Mans Series’ Prototype Challenge category in 2011.
Leitzinger’s Bentley is one of 12 cars within the GT class, that also features manufacturer entries from Cadillac, Audi, McLaren, Ferrari, Porsche and Reiter Engineering Lamborghini. Mercedes-Benz and SRT Viper add to the manufacturer diversity in the GT-A subcategory.
“Chris and Rob (Dyson, the team’s founder and president) had been speaking with me about an undefined project they had in mind and I was of course interested in renewing my relationship with them and the team,” Leitzinger said in a team release. “I also knew that Bentley was getting back into racing, this time with a racing version of the Continental. To my surprise these two projects turned out to be the same – and happily I’ll be driving.”
Dyson, who raced the 24 Hours of Le Mans this past weekend with Caterham Racing, expanded briefly on the Bentley program.
“The Bentley program is extremely exciting. We had our first test, so we’re up and running,” Dyson told MotorSportsTalk. “I feel like a switchboard operator sometimes. My family gives me the stability and a lot of great people help make my life possible. Nobody does this alone. If you’re around good people, good things will happen.”
Races for PWC occur on Friday and Saturday, and will be aired on NBCSN Friday, July 4, at 6:30 p.m. ET.
Video from NASCAR America
- Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports 0
- NBCSN’s F1 coverage delivers best ever single-season numbers for a cable network 4
- Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014 0
- Jean-Eric Vergne confirms Toro Rosso exit 3
- Bottas leads as McLaren-Honda delayed on first day of Abu Dhabi test 6
- Steve Letarte reflects on Hendrick Motorsports career in “exit interview” (VIDEO) 3
- Weekend wrap: Lewis Hamilton back on top of the F1 mountain 4