Jun 17, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
While NASCAR’s Nationwide Series races at Road America this Saturday, one of the series on the undercards is the Pirelli World Challenge Championships with a doubleheader weekend of its own for all six of its categories.
One of the cars to watch – perhaps the car to watch within PWC GT this weekend – is the debuting Bentley Continental GT3, in the hands of Dyson Racing with Team Bentley. It had its first test at the track this month.
Dyson veteran Butch Leitzinger will be behind the wheel of the No. 08 Bentley/Breitling/Mobil 1 Bentley Continental GT3 at a track where he has excelled in the past. He has two sports car class victories at the Elkhart Lake road course, most recently in the American Le Mans Series’ Prototype Challenge category in 2011.
Leitzinger’s Bentley is one of 12 cars within the GT class, that also features manufacturer entries from Cadillac, Audi, McLaren, Ferrari, Porsche and Reiter Engineering Lamborghini. Mercedes-Benz and SRT Viper add to the manufacturer diversity in the GT-A subcategory.
“Chris and Rob (Dyson, the team’s founder and president) had been speaking with me about an undefined project they had in mind and I was of course interested in renewing my relationship with them and the team,” Leitzinger said in a team release. “I also knew that Bentley was getting back into racing, this time with a racing version of the Continental. To my surprise these two projects turned out to be the same – and happily I’ll be driving.”
Dyson, who raced the 24 Hours of Le Mans this past weekend with Caterham Racing, expanded briefly on the Bentley program.
“The Bentley program is extremely exciting. We had our first test, so we’re up and running,” Dyson told MotorSportsTalk. “I feel like a switchboard operator sometimes. My family gives me the stability and a lot of great people help make my life possible. Nobody does this alone. If you’re around good people, good things will happen.”
Races for PWC occur on Friday and Saturday, and will be aired on NBCSN Friday, July 4, at 6:30 p.m. ET.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52