Jun 18, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT
Always the fan favorite, bushy-haired Boris Said looks to rebound from some recent disappointing performances in Sunday’s Toyota/Save Mart 350 at Sonoma Raceway.
“I’m looking forward to having a great weekend back on the track,” Said said in a Go Fas Racing team media release. “I’ve always enjoyed Sonoma and have had some solid top-10 finishes there. I’m looking forward to adding to that number on Sunday.”
Although he’s known for being a road course ace, the 51-year-old Said has run hot and cold at Sonoma. In 14 prior Cup starts there, he has one pole (2003) and five top-10s, including a career-best finish of sixth in both 2003 and 2004.
His last top-10 showing was eighth in 2010. Since then, however, he’s finished 28th in 2011, 29th in 2012 and 18th in last year’s race there.
Sunday will mark his 48th career overall Sprint Cup start. To date he has two top-five finishes (including a career-best third at Watkins Glen in 2005 and a pole and fourth-place finish in the summer 2006 race at Daytona), eight top-10 finishes and two poles.
Said will have 7-Eleven and Amerigas on the Frank Stoddard-owned Go Fas Racing No. 32 Ford Fusion in Sunday’s race.
“Ever since Boris and I started together in 2006, we have had a shot to win in Sonoma,” Stoddard said. “I know with Boris in the car this weekend we will have another opportunity to compete for a win.
“We’re all looking forward to the race weekend and hopefully some great results for 7-Eleven and AmeriGas.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Power wins Verizon P1 Award in Detroit with new track record 1
- Preview: Detroit’s doubleheader a crucial weekend for IndyCar championship 0
- ARCA: From welder to race car driver, Sarah Cornett-Ching continues her building prowess 2
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 7
- Surprises, struggles: NHRA at one-third mark of ’15 season 5
- FIA seeking new teams for Formula 1 in 2016 and 2017 8
- Gossage to Walker: “We need a more competitive race this year than last year” 2