Jun 18, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT
Always the fan favorite, bushy-haired Boris Said looks to rebound from some recent disappointing performances in Sunday’s Toyota/Save Mart 350 at Sonoma Raceway.
“I’m looking forward to having a great weekend back on the track,” Said said in a Go Fas Racing team media release. “I’ve always enjoyed Sonoma and have had some solid top-10 finishes there. I’m looking forward to adding to that number on Sunday.”
Although he’s known for being a road course ace, the 51-year-old Said has run hot and cold at Sonoma. In 14 prior Cup starts there, he has one pole (2003) and five top-10s, including a career-best finish of sixth in both 2003 and 2004.
His last top-10 showing was eighth in 2010. Since then, however, he’s finished 28th in 2011, 29th in 2012 and 18th in last year’s race there.
Sunday will mark his 48th career overall Sprint Cup start. To date he has two top-five finishes (including a career-best third at Watkins Glen in 2005 and a pole and fourth-place finish in the summer 2006 race at Daytona), eight top-10 finishes and two poles.
Said will have 7-Eleven and Amerigas on the Frank Stoddard-owned Go Fas Racing No. 32 Ford Fusion in Sunday’s race.
“Ever since Boris and I started together in 2006, we have had a shot to win in Sonoma,” Stoddard said. “I know with Boris in the car this weekend we will have another opportunity to compete for a win.
“We’re all looking forward to the race weekend and hopefully some great results for 7-Eleven and AmeriGas.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3