Jun 18, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
A test earlier this year whetted the appetite for Jarno Trulli to return to racing, as the 39-year-old Italian got behind the wheel of one of the FIA Formula E electric open-wheel cars.
Turns out Trulli will have a more pronounced role in the first full season of the championship, with news coming down Wednesday the new TrulliGP outfit will take over one of the 10 grid slots.
Trulli’s team replaces Drayson Racing and Jarno will be in one of the team’s two cars. Lord Paul Drayson’s Drayson Technologies will still be involved, as Trulli’s principal technology partner and a supplier and sponsor to the team.
“I am pleased that the FIA selected TrulliGP to be part of the FIA Formula E Championship,” Trulli said in a team release. “Having gained fantastic experience as a driver in Formula One, my involvement in the FIA Formula E Championship will certainly be a new challenge, not only as a driver but also as a team owner.
“Competing at the highest level of performance with a clean energy car with the support of Drayson Technologies makes this challenge even more exciting. I am very pleased to be a pioneer of this new Formula E project.”
Trulli last raced in Formula One with Caterham in 2011; he’s also the most recent Italian driver to have been on an F1 grid.
Other drivers confirmed for the inaugural season include Daniel Abt/Lucas di Grassi (Audi Sport Abt), Karun Chandhok/Bruno Senna (Mahindra), Sam Bird/Jaime Alguersuari (Virgin) and Franck Montagny (Andretti Autosport).
- Preview: Detroit’s doubleheader a crucial weekend for IndyCar championship 0
- ARCA: From welder to race car driver, Sarah Cornett-Ching continues her building prowess 2
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 7
- Surprises, struggles: NHRA at one-third mark of ’15 season 5
- FIA seeking new teams for Formula 1 in 2016 and 2017 8
- Gossage to Walker: “We need a more competitive race this year than last year” 2
- Volkswagen Andretti pair of Foust, Speed seek better fortunes, consistency 0