Jun 18, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT
The car that won at both Road America and the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in the NASCAR Nationwide Series in 2013 was the No. 22 Discount Tire Ford, wheeled both times by AJ Allmendinger in his year of racing various types of machinery.
The task is left to Alex Tagliani to match that or come close this year, as the veteran Canadian steps back into a Team Penske Nationwide car for the first time since 2011, when he started and finished second in his home race of Montreal.
For Tagliani, the NASCAR Nationwide appearances come in a year when he’s also raced in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship full-time in the Prototype Challenge class, a one-off Indianapolis 500 appearance in the No. 68 Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing Honda, and also launched his own team in the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series of Tagliani Autosport.
“It is an honor to drive for Team Penske, especially the No. 22 Mustang and to be representing a brand such as Discount Tire,” Tagliani said heading into the weekend. “I appreciate the confidence Team Penske and Discount Tire has, letting me drive the car for them in two road course races and I am very excited to have the chance to test and race with such a great team and group of guys. Jeremy Bullins is an amazing crew chief so we are looking to have some strong results at Road America.”
Strong results have occurred at Road America before – Tagliani won at Road America in Champ Car in 2004.
Video from NASCAR America
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 1
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 5