Jun 19, 2014, 11:43 AM EST
Hercules can beat any number of rivals, but can he beat 42 other NASCAR drivers?
We’ll find out in Sunday’s Toyota/Save Mart 350 NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Sonoma Raceway, as veteran sports car driver Tomy Drissi will be behind the wheel of the Jay Robinson Racing No. 66 Toyota. The car will be sponsored by and promote the new Hercules movie, starring Dwayne Johnson (aka The Rock), that hits theaters on July 25.
“The only thing more fun than driving a Cup car is driving a Cup car at Sonoma,” Drissi said in a team media release. “These guys are so good … it’s such a good show and really great racing.
“And, the fans are unbelievable. They’re going to love the the Hercules car. We’ve gone all out on the graphics package, and I’m confident that the Jay Robison Racing crew will have a fast car right off the trailer.”
This will be Drissi’s second year racing for JRR at Sonoma, and his fourth career Sprint Cup start, all coming on road courses. He finished 38th in the 2012 race at Sonoma for Tommy Baldwin Jr., and was 38th at Sonoma and 42nd at Watkins Glen last season for JRR.
“This is a very important race for our team,” Jay Robinson said. “We are in a very tight [owners] points battle. I am very confident in Tomy’s ability to bring home a good finish.”
Drissi has competed in three of this season’s first seven Tudor United Sports Car Series races, with his best finishes of third in the Rolex 24 at Daytona and sixth in the 12 Hours of Sebring.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari on day one of Jerez test 3
- Red Bull RB11 launched in camouflage testing livery 4
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 4
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0