Jun 19, 2014, 3:01 PM EDT
Carl Edwards may soon order his next Subway sandwich with a side of M&Ms.
If Edwards leaves Roush-Fenway Racing when his contract expires at season’s end and joins Joe Gibbs Racing next season – as has been rumored for the last several months – his primary sponsor could be M&Ms, according to a report by Motorsport.com.
Citing unnamed sources, the report claims that if M&Ms/Mars Co. – which has been Kyle Busch‘s primary sponsor since he joined Joe Gibbs Racing in 2008 – moves to Edwards’ car, Busch would likely then see current associate sponsor Monster Energy elevate its program to primary sponsor status on his car in 2015.
The Motorsport.com report also cited unnamed sources in asserting that JGR reps have begun recruiting personnel for a potential fourth Sprint Cup team for next season. If true, that is the most glaring indication to date that the Edwards-to-Gibbs rumors may have validity.
Of course, everything is hypothetical at this point, as Edwards continues to refuse to discuss his contract status and future.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- DiZinno: St. Pete provides solid 2015 season kickoff, but issues some warning signs 1
- Off The Grid Mexico Kicks Off on NBCSports.com (VIDEO) 0
- Spectator injured but in stable condition after being hit by debris at St. Pete race 4
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 3
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 2
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 2
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 6