Jun 19, 2014, 3:01 PM EDT
Carl Edwards may soon order his next Subway sandwich with a side of M&Ms.
If Edwards leaves Roush-Fenway Racing when his contract expires at season’s end and joins Joe Gibbs Racing next season – as has been rumored for the last several months – his primary sponsor could be M&Ms, according to a report by Motorsport.com.
Citing unnamed sources, the report claims that if M&Ms/Mars Co. – which has been Kyle Busch‘s primary sponsor since he joined Joe Gibbs Racing in 2008 – moves to Edwards’ car, Busch would likely then see current associate sponsor Monster Energy elevate its program to primary sponsor status on his car in 2015.
The Motorsport.com report also cited unnamed sources in asserting that JGR reps have begun recruiting personnel for a potential fourth Sprint Cup team for next season. If true, that is the most glaring indication to date that the Edwards-to-Gibbs rumors may have validity.
Of course, everything is hypothetical at this point, as Edwards continues to refuse to discuss his contract status and future.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- IndyCar driver raises concern about design of wishbone that injured James Hinchcliffe in crash 1
- IndyCar confirms Boston race for 2016 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Hamilton tops quiet second Monaco GP practice 0
- Hamilton quickest in opening practice for Monaco GP 0
- James Hinchcliffe transferred out of ICU, full recovery expected 4
- Tony Kanaan says older part, reinforced suspension contributed to Hinchcliffe’s crash and injury 7