Jun 19, 2014, 3:01 PM EST
Carl Edwards may soon order his next Subway sandwich with a side of M&Ms.
If Edwards leaves Roush-Fenway Racing when his contract expires at season’s end and joins Joe Gibbs Racing next season – as has been rumored for the last several months – his primary sponsor could be M&Ms, according to a report by Motorsport.com.
Citing unnamed sources, the report claims that if M&Ms/Mars Co. – which has been Kyle Busch‘s primary sponsor since he joined Joe Gibbs Racing in 2008 – moves to Edwards’ car, Busch would likely then see current associate sponsor Monster Energy elevate its program to primary sponsor status on his car in 2015.
The Motorsport.com report also cited unnamed sources in asserting that JGR reps have begun recruiting personnel for a potential fourth Sprint Cup team for next season. If true, that is the most glaring indication to date that the Edwards-to-Gibbs rumors may have validity.
Of course, everything is hypothetical at this point, as Edwards continues to refuse to discuss his contract status and future.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Police seek cause of death of race fan found near Talladega 0
- MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy 0
- What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014 1
- Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports 5
- NBCSN’s F1 coverage delivers best ever single-season numbers for a cable network 6
- Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014 0
- Jean-Eric Vergne confirms Toro Rosso exit 3