Jun 20, 2014, 9:32 AM EDT
Lewis Hamilton has hit back during the second free practice session for the Austrian Grand Prix by finishing fastest on Friday afternoon at the Red Bull Ring.
The Briton posted a fastest lap time of 1:09.542 on the super-soft tire to beat teammate Nico Rosberg into second place, having suffered a reverse result during the first session on Friday.
FP2 saw the drivers head out and post some initial lap times on the prime tire before switching to the super-softs for their qualifying simulations. Even on the harder compound, Hamilton was still on top in the intra-Mercedes battle, while Valtteri Bottas ran well for Williams in third place on the primes.
On the super-softs, Hamilton and Rosberg were dominant once again, but this time Fernando Alonso proved to be their closest challenger. After finishing third in FP1, the Ferrari driver did the same again in FP2, although he was almost a second down on Hamilton at the front.
Bottas continued Williams’ good form by finishing fourth ahead of teammate Felipe Massa. The British team certainly appears to be in with a chance of scoring its first podium finish of the season this weekend, but after his disappointment in Canada, Massa will not be banking on anything until he sees the checkered flag.
Red Bull bounced back from a disappointing first session to finish sixth and eighth, with Sebastian Vettel ahead of Daniel Ricciardo. However, on home turf, it appears that the team will struggle to bother Mercedes at the front of the field.
It may seem to be a regular summation, but once again, Mercedes is the team to beat in Austria.
- Welcome back, Wilson: Englishman back with Andretti for rest of 2015 0
- DiZinno: Daytona fence crash ripple effect could extend to other motorsports 6
- Ten with Townsend: Red Bull GRC 4 races in, post-MCAS New River 0
- Smiling Through the Rain: Silverstone proved that it isn’t all doom and gloom in F1 2
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 2
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0