Jun 20, 2014, 5:10 PM EST
Three former Sonoma winners topped the first four positions on the speed chart in Friday’s first NASCAR Sprint Cup practice for Sunday’s Toyota/Save Mart 350 at Sonoma Raceway.
Kurt Busch, who won the 2011 race, led the field with a top lap of 95.470 mph (at 75.039 seconds).
“I think the car unloaded really good,” Busch told Fox Sports 1. “It’s from all the testing we did. We prepared with two road course tests. Today, we saw three seconds of dropoff and that puts it in the category is if this is a three-stop race or a two-stop race. The last two years, I’ve done well with a two-stop strategy. … I think we’ll (also) see a new track record in qualifying (on Saturday).”
Clint Bowyer, who won there in 2012, was second-fastest at 95.421 mph, followed by Brian Vickers (95.080 mph), last year’s race winner Martin Truex Jr. (94.478) and rookie and northern California native Kyle Larson (94.825).
Sixth was Marcos Ambrose (94.714), who is being picked by many to win Sunday’s race, even though he has never won at Sonoma before. Ambrose does have two road course race wins at Watkins Glen in New York.
Five-time Sonoma winner and current Sprint Cup points leader Jeff Gordon was 11th-fastest (94.395), followed by Joey Logano (94.364), Greg Biffle (94.344), Jamie McMurray (94.159) and Kasey Kahne (94.113).
Other performances of note:
* Jimmie Johnson, who has won three of the last four races including this past Sunday’s event at Michigan, was 21st fastest at 93.890 mph.
* Kyle Busch was a surprisingly slow 24th (93.673).
* Second-ranked Matt Kenseth was 25th-fastest (93.588).
* Danica Patrick was 32nd (92.806).
* Landon Cassill was the slowest of the 42 drivers who took practice laps around the track (90.717 mph).
The second practice session is set to begin at 6:30 pm ET/3:30 pm PT.
Qualifying takes place Saturday at 1:40 pm ET/10:40 am PT.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Nico Rosberg rallies to pole position in Abu Dhabi 0
- Rosberg closes out Abu Dhabi practice fastest 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Jimmie Johnson: Kevin Harvick winning Sprint Cup title was “the right thing” 18
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Nico Rosberg 0
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Lewis Hamilton 0
- Hamilton quickest in second practice for Abu Dhabi GP 0