Jun 20, 2014, 11:15 AM EST
Ferrari team principal Marco Mattiacci has stressed the importance of American involvement in Formula 1 as the Italian marque continues to negotiate supplying engines to Gene Haas’s new team.
Haas won the race to join the sport earlier this year, and plans for Haas Formula to enter F1 in 2016. At the Canadian Grand Prix, he spent a lot of time in the Ferrari garage talking to Mattiacci, and the Italian team boss revealed that a decision should be made soon regarding a possible engine supply.
“We are doing some progress, and naturally entering Formula 1 is a challenge,” he explained when asked about talks with Haas by this writer. “I think there is, again, work in progress, and probably a decision will be made in the coming weeks.”
However, Mattiacci is delighted that an American outfit is entering the sport, and says that he will welcome Haas Formula to the sport regardless of its engine supply, be it Ferrari or otherwise.
“The positive things I believe that to have Americans that start to look and invest in Formula 1,” Mattiacci said. “It’s really a very important topic to stress because this is, at the moment, the largest and most important economy in the world.
“It’s a good sign that Americans start to look and invest in Formula 1.
“Haas can go to us, or someone else, but we will welcome the United States to look in Formula 1.”
The sport has enjoyed a revival in the United States of late, with the grand prix at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas, being a huge success. A second race is also being negotiated, and American driver Alexander Rossi is edging towards a full-time seat in the sport.
There is still a very long road for Haas and his team to negotiate, but the paddock certainly appears to be enthusiastic about adding an American team to the grid in the next two years.
- Sebastian Vettel first discussed Ferrari move back in 2008 1
- FIA considering tender for new Formula 1 teams 5
- Manor passes final crash tests ahead of Australian GP 1
- WATCH: Mercedes F1: Road to Repeat at 8 p.m. ET highlights F1 block on NBCSN 0
- Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne 3
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 2
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 3