Jun 20, 2014, 6:56 PM EDT
Seeking valuable road racing experience, five Sprint Cup drivers are also competing this weekend in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series West undercard at Sonoma Raceway.
So far, it appears they’re making the most of things – especially Stenhouse, who led both K&N West practices this afternoon on the 1.99-mile Northern California road course.
Stenhouse and Larson were 1-2 in the first practice, with Stenhouse’s 1:18:916 bettering Larson’s 1:19.050. Greg Pursley, Austin Cameron, and Brandon McReynolds (son of former Cup crew chief and current TV analyst Larry McReynolds) completed the Top 5 speed in that session.
In the final practice, Stenhouse and Larson were once again quickest. Both of them lowered their lap times as well; Stenhouse posted a 1:18.243 and Larson turned in a 1:18.380.
Allgaier, a late addition to Saturday’s race, was third on the time sheets in final practice. McReynolds was fourth and David Mayhew was fifth.
Earlier today on NASCAR AMERICA, Leigh Diffey and Ricky Rudd talked about the young Cup racers opting to run the K&N West event and how it can help them in Sunday’s Sprint Cup Toyota/Save Mart 350. You can hear their thoughts in the clip above.
- Dixon’s latest title a story of consistency, comeback, typical “Ice Man” cool 0
- Double points reverse Montoya’s IndyCar championship hopes (VIDEO) 16
- Scott Dixon captures Sonoma race win and 2015 IndyCar championship (VIDEO) 15
- Robin Miller pays tribute to Justin Wilson (VIDEO) 3
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar’s championship decided in Sonoma at 1 p.m. PT, 4 ET on NBCSN 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 2