Jun 20, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
Today was supposed to have two practice sessions for the NASCAR Nationwide Series at Road America, but heavy rains in the morning delayed proceedings and ultimately caused NASCAR to hold one two-hour practice on the giant, 4.048-mile circuit in Wisconsin.
Goodyear rain tires are on hand for teams, but series officials had indicated that practice was unlikely to occur in wet conditions if tomorrow’s Gardner Denver 200 was to be held in the dry.
The session eventually got underway around 2:15 p.m. ET and ended with Sam Hornish Jr. taking the No. 54 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota to the top of the time sheets ahead of Richard Childress Racing’s Brian Scott and Alex Tagliani, who is driving for Team Penske this weekend.
Hornish, who finished second last weekend at Michigan, posted a fast lap of 108.189 miles per hour to claim top honors by a smidge over Scott and his top lap of 108.183 mph. Tagliani, in Penske’s No. 22 Ford, was not far behind with his best of 108.064 mph.
As for Smith’s JR Motorsports teammate, Chase Elliott, he did not post a time during the session due to an engine change in his No. 9 NAPA Chevy.
Elliott is working with Ernie Cope atop the pit box as crew chief this weekend. His regular CC, Greg Ives, is back home with his wife as they welcome their third child.
Qualifying will take place tomorrow at 11:40 a.m. ET, followed by the race itself at 2:45 p.m. ET. A chance of rain is again possible for tomorrow with temperatures around the low to mid 70s.
- NHRA: Beckman blazes to second Funny Car win of season at Kansas; Crampton, Enders-Stevens also win 0
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 2
- Montoya rallies for second Indianapolis 500 victory (VIDEO) 6
- Hamilton: Impossible to express how I feel after Monaco defeat 4
- Rosberg lucks in to third straight Monaco GP win after Mercedes’ mistake costs Hamilton victory 52
- 2015 Indy 500 driver-by-driver one-liners 0