Jun 20, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT
After an interesting first practice session at the Red Bull Ring, the drivers will resume business later this afternoon with FP2 for the Austrian Grand Prix.
You can watch the full session live on NBCSN and Live Extra from 8am ET. CLICK HERE to watch via live stream.
Nico Rosberg had the honor of finishing fastest in the first session at the revamped Red Bull Ring, with this weekend’s race being the first in Austria since 2003.
The German driver posted a fastest lap time of 1:11.295 to finish one-tenth of a second clear of Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton. On Red Bull’s home turf, it seems that the Silver Arrows will rule once again.
For Red Bull, the session did not go to plan. Daniel Ricciardo and Sebastian Vettel could finish in just thirteenth and fifteenth place respectively, and both made mistakes at the final corner. Vettel was particularly fortunate to save his car from going into the barrier, having circled his car twice on the exit of turn eight.
Instead, Mercedes’ closest challenger was the ever-present force of Fernando Alonso. Although he may stand little chance of toppling the Silver Arrows this weekend, he will certainly be encouraged by the early pace of the Ferrari F14 T.
FP2 begins at 8am ET live on NBCSN and Live Extra. CLICK HERE to watch via live stream.
- Bubba Wallace pays homage to NASCAR Hall of Famer Wendell Scott with encore win at Martinsville 1
- Marussia also set to miss United States GP 8
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 7
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1