Jun 22, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Fernando Alonso endured another lonely race at today’s Austrian Grand Prix as he crossed the line in fifth place, some eighteen seconds behind race winner Nico Rosberg.
The Spaniard has been making the most of his lacklustre Ferrari F14 T car this season, and currently lies fourth in the drivers’ championship after eight rounds.
Today, he continued his record of scoring points in every race so far, but struggled to match the Mercedes cars out in front and the Williams pair of Valtteri Bottas and Felipe Massa, who finished third and fourth respectively.
Alonso appeared to improve his pace in the second half of today’s grand prix, and nearly caught Massa at the end. However, he says that the cars ahead were not running at their full speed, thus exaggerating his own pace.
“First of all the cars ahead had Perez slowing the group and we were catching up,” he explained. “They seemed to use the maximum power only a few laps in the race and they have so much advantage that they play with it a little bit.
“With Massa in the end, when I was close, he pulled away. Same with Hamilton on the first lap, it was unbelievable the difference between the two cars.
“I think if they ran with those settings every lap they would have lapped everyone, but they cannot do for the whole race.”
Once again though, Alonso was Ferrari’s top finisher in Austria. His teammate, Kimi Raikkonen, was largely anonymous during today’s race, save for one amusing radio call where he complained about a lack of power. The Finn crossed the line in tenth place.
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach and Barber debrief 0
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 1
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 12
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0