Jun 22, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Sauber’s Esteban Gutierrez has been given a ten place grid penalty for the British Grand Prix after an unsafe release during today’s race in Austria.
The Mexican pulled away from his pit box after his first stop on Sunday at the Red Bull Ring, but was a little too hasty. The team had not completed its work on the C33, and had to wheel him back to his box for them to correctly fit his right rear tire.
The stewards immediately investigated the incident, and gave Gutierrez a ten second stop/go penalty. He eventually finished the race as the last classified finisher in 19th position, some two laps down.
However, the FIA’s officials decided that the team needed further punishment, and have docked Gutierrez ten places from his qualifying position at the British Grand Prix in two weeks’ time.
Sauber once again failed to score any points this weekend, with Adrian Sutil finishing 13th in the other car. The team will be hoping to bounce back in Britain, but judging by its current form, it will take a race of attrition to get either of its drivers into the points.
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 0
- Hamilton eases to fourth straight pole position in Bahrain 0
- Hamilton closes out Bahrain GP practice on top 0
- INDYCAR confirms more aero kit updates coming to Long Beach 1
- Rocky Moran Jr. to replace Huertas in Coyne’s No. 18 for Long Beach 7
- Rosberg heads up Mercedes one-two in Bahrain FP2 1
- Kimi Raikkonen quickest in first practice for Bahrain GP 2