Jun 22, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
Sauber’s Esteban Gutierrez has been given a ten place grid penalty for the British Grand Prix after an unsafe release during today’s race in Austria.
The Mexican pulled away from his pit box after his first stop on Sunday at the Red Bull Ring, but was a little too hasty. The team had not completed its work on the C33, and had to wheel him back to his box for them to correctly fit his right rear tire.
The stewards immediately investigated the incident, and gave Gutierrez a ten second stop/go penalty. He eventually finished the race as the last classified finisher in 19th position, some two laps down.
However, the FIA’s officials decided that the team needed further punishment, and have docked Gutierrez ten places from his qualifying position at the British Grand Prix in two weeks’ time.
Sauber once again failed to score any points this weekend, with Adrian Sutil finishing 13th in the other car. The team will be hoping to bounce back in Britain, but judging by its current form, it will take a race of attrition to get either of its drivers into the points.
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0
- Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi 2
- Force India confirms Sergio Perez on multi-year deal 2
- Nico Rosberg rallies to pole position in Abu Dhabi 0
- Rosberg closes out Abu Dhabi practice fastest 1