Jun 22, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
We don’t know if Joe Gibbs Racing will be expanding to a fourth car next season for Carl Edwards or any other potential addition.
But what we do know is that one of the team’s top sponsors, candy giant M&M’s/Mars, Inc., will be keeping its M&M’s brand with Kyle Busch.
Earlier this week, a Motorsport.com report that cited unnamed sources said that Edwards would pick up the M&M’s sponsorship if he chose to move from Roush Fenway Racing to JGR over the off-season. It also said that Busch would likely have Monster Energy step up to be his new primary backer.
But this morning at Sonoma, team president J.D. Gibbs told Fox Sports’ Tom Jensen that M&M’s would stay with Busch’s No. 18 Toyota. Additionally, Gibbs said that any announcement regarding a fourth JGR car would have to wait until at least September.
Edwards, along with fellow Roush racer Greg Biffle, has been at the center of ongoing rumors about his future. However, he has remained tight-lipped about his contract status.
As for Biffle, he has told the Associated Press this weekend that while he’s made contact with other teams about acquiring his services, he is currently talking with Roush about staying there beyond this season.
“My deal is definitely not done,” he said. “I’m trying to negotiate an extension. Nothing has changed.”
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Dale Jarrett to join NASCAR coverage on NBC, NBCSN 1
- F1: Lotus releases images of its new Mercedes-powered E23 1
- NASCAR Media Tour begins today, but drivers still in idle 2
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. ponders a 24-hour NASCAR race 7
- ‘Do you get mad when your boyfriend wrecks you?’ Danica Patrick faces kids’ pressing questions 5
- Jeff Gordon to serve as NASCAR TV analyst this season 19
- Ganassi’s No. 02 Riley-Ford Scores Rolex 24 Victory 3