Jun 22, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
We don’t know if Joe Gibbs Racing will be expanding to a fourth car next season for Carl Edwards or any other potential addition.
But what we do know is that one of the team’s top sponsors, candy giant M&M’s/Mars, Inc., will be keeping its M&M’s brand with Kyle Busch.
Earlier this week, a Motorsport.com report that cited unnamed sources said that Edwards would pick up the M&M’s sponsorship if he chose to move from Roush Fenway Racing to JGR over the off-season. It also said that Busch would likely have Monster Energy step up to be his new primary backer.
But this morning at Sonoma, team president J.D. Gibbs told Fox Sports’ Tom Jensen that M&M’s would stay with Busch’s No. 18 Toyota. Additionally, Gibbs said that any announcement regarding a fourth JGR car would have to wait until at least September.
Edwards, along with fellow Roush racer Greg Biffle, has been at the center of ongoing rumors about his future. However, he has remained tight-lipped about his contract status.
As for Biffle, he has told the Associated Press this weekend that while he’s made contact with other teams about acquiring his services, he is currently talking with Roush about staying there beyond this season.
“My deal is definitely not done,” he said. “I’m trying to negotiate an extension. Nothing has changed.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 0
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 1
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 0
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 2
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 3
- Still searching: Castroneves finishes 14th, falls short of IndyCar title (VIDEO) 1