Jun 22, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
We don’t know if Joe Gibbs Racing will be expanding to a fourth car next season for Carl Edwards or any other potential addition.
But what we do know is that one of the team’s top sponsors, candy giant M&M’s/Mars, Inc., will be keeping its M&M’s brand with Kyle Busch.
Earlier this week, a Motorsport.com report that cited unnamed sources said that Edwards would pick up the M&M’s sponsorship if he chose to move from Roush Fenway Racing to JGR over the off-season. It also said that Busch would likely have Monster Energy step up to be his new primary backer.
But this morning at Sonoma, team president J.D. Gibbs told Fox Sports’ Tom Jensen that M&M’s would stay with Busch’s No. 18 Toyota. Additionally, Gibbs said that any announcement regarding a fourth JGR car would have to wait until at least September.
Edwards, along with fellow Roush racer Greg Biffle, has been at the center of ongoing rumors about his future. However, he has remained tight-lipped about his contract status.
As for Biffle, he has told the Associated Press this weekend that while he’s made contact with other teams about acquiring his services, he is currently talking with Roush about staying there beyond this season.
“My deal is definitely not done,” he said. “I’m trying to negotiate an extension. Nothing has changed.”
- Hinchcliffe undergoes final surgery, now “can’t wait to be strapping back in” 0
- With 2016 plans undetermined, Newgarden focused on finishing 2015 strong 0
- Racing, music blend as Umphrey’s McGee partners with GTSport Racing for rest of 2015 PWC season 0
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0
- INDYCAR announces Derrick Walker has resigned from series 8
- Preview: Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio critical in IndyCar title chase 1
- It’s “never-say-die” for Graham Rahal with three races left 1