Jun 22, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Sergio Perez will be coming away from the Austrian Grand Prix with a smile on his face after finishing sixth at the Red Bull Ring.
The Force India driver was forced to start from 16th place on the grid, having qualified 11th and then been hit with a five-place grid penalty for causing a crash with Felipe Massa at the Canadian Grand Prix.
Just as it did in Canada, the team elected to start Perez on the prime tire, allowing him to go longer into the race before stopping. As a result, he led for ten laps ahead of eventual winner Nico Rosberg, who only found a way past when the Mexican’s tires began to drop off in pace.
Perez twice entered battle with Massa, who had warned that he would think three times before even attempting to pass the Force India following the incident in Montreal. However, both drivers kept the racing clean, with Massa eventually finishing fourth for Williams.
On the super-soft tire, Perez was the quickest man on the circuit in the final stages of the grand prix, and posted the fastest lap of the race. He battled past the McLaren duo of Jenson Button and Kevin Magnussen during his final stint, thus securing himself a strong sixth place finish.
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach and Barber debrief 0
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 1
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 12
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0