Jun 23, 2014, 6:14 PM EDT
Could 17-year-old Ben Rhodes be the hottest driver in all of NASCAR right now?
The K&N Pro Series East driver has now rattled off four consecutive wins after taking the checkered flag over the weekend at Langley (Va.) Speedway. It also marks his fifth victory of the year overall.
In Saturday’s race, Rhodes claimed the lead on Lap 14 and led the remaining 162 laps. A late restart spiced things up, but in the end, Rhodes out-hustled Cameron Hayley to the stripe by 1.2 seconds.
Rhodes is part of a five-car operation in the K&N East series for Nationwide and Camping World Truck contenders Turner Scott Motorsports. In addition to Rhodes’ win, TSM got second from Hayley, fourth from Scott Heckert, fifth from Kaz Grala, and sixth from Brandon Jones
But the night belonged to Rhodes, who is now on the cusp of an impressive accomplishment. One more win will have him tie the K&N East record for most consecutive wins at five, which was set in 1991 by Ricky Craven under the NASCAR Busch North Series banner.
Additionally, it would have Rhodes match current Nationwide Series driver Dylan Kwasniewski for most wins in the K&N East series since NASCAR lowered the age limit from 18 years old back in 2007.
“The way I look at it, we haven’t won anything at all,” Rhodes told NASCARHomeTracks.com. “We’re going to keep doing what we do. We look to every race as a challenge. We forget about what happened in the past and keep looking forward.”
Rhodes will look to keep the mojo going in the next K&N East race on July 11 at New Hampshire Motor Speedway.
- Welcome back, Wilson: Englishman back with Andretti for rest of 2015 0
- DiZinno: Daytona fence crash ripple effect could extend to other motorsports 6
- Ten with Townsend: Red Bull GRC 4 races in, post-MCAS New River 0
- Smiling Through the Rain: Silverstone proved that it isn’t all doom and gloom in F1 2
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 2
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0