Jun 24, 2014, 6:49 PM EDT
Come December, Uruguay won’t just be known for soccer (not to mention a certain striker that’s been making news lately).
A short circuit packed with 20 turns awaits Formula E in December when they visit the country’s seaside locale of Punta del Este for the third round of the inaugural series championship.
The street course is 1.7 miles long and is situated alongside the city’s harbor, which has drawn comparisons to Monte Carlo. This layout has previously been used for touring car events, and is the fourth Formula E course to be revealed leading into September’s season opener in Beijing.
The Punta del Este ePrix will take place on Dec. 13.
“It’s a very nice location, next to the sea and the beach,” said Juan Manuel Lopez, the first South American racer to have tested an F-E car, on the series’ website. “I think the best overtaking places would be in the first chicane after the start/finish straight and in Turn 5 under braking. There are many places where the track is not that wide too, so it’s going to be a place where you really need to keep your concentration.
“The surface of the roads is very different in places, meaning there is more grip in certain parts of the track, but the Formula E cars are well prepared for that kind of transition. They run very high off the ground and with a bit of work on the set-up, it will be OK.”
This race will run as part of the series’ South American swing; Buenos Aires, Argentina is hosting Round 4 on Jan. 10, 2015.
Video from NASCAR America
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 1
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 5