Jun 24, 2014, 9:54 AM EDT
Last year, the Verizon IndyCar Series returned to the streets of Houston for the first time in six years. And already since October, there’s been a lot of changes for the series just in the last eight months:
- This race marked the end of Dario Franchitti’s career, after his accident.
- Circuit changes in the name of safety are coming to the track, per a RACER.com report.
- The race shifts from October, where it was hot and humid through Saturday, then rainy Sunday morning last year before heating up again, to June, where highs are projected in the high 80s to low 90s with 30-40% chances of rain.
- The IndyCar series name has changed to the Verizon IndyCar Series; the track name has changed from Reliant Park to NRG Park, as part of the M.D Anderson Cancer Center Speedway at NRG Park.
- This weekend marked Scott Dixon’s most recent victory (Houston Race 1).
- This weekend marked Justin Wilson and James Hinchcliffe’s most recent podium finishes, and Simona de Silvestro’s only career podium before she left to pursue her Formula One dream.
- This weekend marked Josef Newgarden’s most recent top-five finish (fifth in Race 1)
- This race weekend marked Luca Filippi’s most recent starts in the series, and will be his first starts of 2014.
It will be interesting to see if any of those driver stats and the like change coming out of this upcoming doubleheader weekend.
Video from NASCAR America
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 1
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 5