Jun 24, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
The only thing better for Magnus Racing’s third driver for the Sahlen’s Six Hours at the Glen this weekend would have been if they brought in a guy named “Rain” and cued up some James Taylor.
Instead, two years after the team suffered this fire at Watkins Glen, the team known as much for its biting but always on-point satirical press releases as its on-track prowess has brought in a guy named Asch.
Sebastian Asch, that is.
The German joins John Potter and Andy Lally in the team’s No. 44 Flex-Box Porsche 911 GT America, as the team seeks its second straight win in the Tequila Patron North American Endurance Cup after also winning the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring.
“When we were sifting through our options, we came across Asch,” Potter said in the team’s pre-race release. “Through his name alone we’ve found someone who can not only draw a parallel to our race here in 2012, but a couple of crew guys for other reasons.”
At Sebring, the team had Marco Seefried alongside Lally and Potter… which made for a perfect sequence of off-the-wall videos called the “12 Hours of Seefried.”
Then at Detroit, after missing the setup, Magnus did what only Magnus would do – embrace the frustration of how bad the weekend was off-track, and assemble this PR of pictures as “Magnus Racing Visits Detroit.”
This is why Magnus continues to win as much off-track as they do on track, and remain such a refreshing team in modern day, sometimes stuffy and overly corporate world of motorsports.
- Power, Penske to the fore in second IndyCar practice at Barber 0
- WATCH: IndyCar qualifying from Barber at 5 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0
- Ryan Hunter-Reay looks to right 2015 season by completing winning trilogy at Barber Motorsports Park 0
- As GP2 turns 10 years old, where is the Class of ’05 now? 0
- Here’s your IndyCar times for this weekend’s Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama 0
- F1: Year-on-year, Ferrari’s gains, Mercedes’ continued edge reins after four races 0