Jun 26, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
After skipping the last two NASCAR Camping World Truck Series races, Kyle Busch is back behind the wheel at Kentucky Speedway — and looking for his fifth win of the season in Thursday night’s UNOH 225, the eighth race thus far in 2014.
And to almost no one’s surprise, Busch was right near the top of the speed chart in the first of two NCWTS practices Thursday.
German Quiroga Jr. was the fastest in the morning practice with a top speed of 175.501 mph.
But right behind Quiroga was the younger Busch brother, who recorded a fast lap of 175.291 mph, meaning he and Quiroga were the only two drivers to break the 175 mph barrier.
Third-fastest was Ryan Blaney (174.351 mph), followed by Joey Coulter (174.070), Timothy Peters (174.014), Darrell Wallace Jr. (173.885), Austin Dillon (173.377), Jeb Burton (173.327), Tayler Malsam (173.166) and Joe Nemecheck (173.005).
Johnny Sauter was 11th-fastest (172.778 mph), while 12th through 20th were Matt Crafton (172.678), Ben Kennedy (172.326), Ron Hornaday Jr. (172.293), Corey Lajoie (172.123), Brad Keselowski (171.799), Max Gresham (171.385), Bryan Silas (170.962), Mason Mingus (170.778) and John Wes Townley (170.713).
Tyler Young was 21st-fastest (169.492), followed by Caleb Holman (169.364), JJ Yeley (169.221), Jimmy Weller III (166.775), T.J. Bell (165.406), Justin Jennings (161.812) and Jennifer Jo Cobb (158.651).
Chase Pistone did not take any practice laps.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 0
- Ryan Hunter-Reay looks to right 2015 season by completing winning trilogy at Barber Motorsports Park 0
- As GP2 turns 10 years old, where is the Class of ’05 now? 0
- Here’s your IndyCar times for this weekend’s Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama 0
- F1: Year-on-year, Ferrari’s gains, Mercedes’ continued edge reins after four races 0
- Racing community reflects on the loss of Fox Sports’ broadcaster Steve Byrnes 8
- Sam Schmidt’s inspirational lap in SAM Project, Arrow Corvette on NBC Nightly News (VIDEO, PHOTOS) 2