Jun 26, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
Older brother Kurt Busch did the so-called “Double” in May, competing in IndyCar’s Indianapolis 500 and NASCAR’s Coca-Cola 600 on the same day.
Now it’s younger brother Kyle Busch who is making it very clear that he plans on winning the NASCAR “Triple” — going for triumphs in the Camping World Truck Series, Nationwide Series and Sprint Cup races — this weekend at Kentucky Speedway.
After winning Thursday night’s UNOH 225 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race, it’s now one down, two to go for Busch, who goes for his second win in Friday night’s John R. Elliott Hero Campaign 300 Nationwide Series race.
He’s off to a good start: he was fastest in the NNS practice before the Truck race Thursday night.
If Busch indeed goes on to win Friday’s NNS event, then he’ll go for the rare trifecta in Saturday’s main event of the weekend, the Quaker State 400 Sprint Cup race.
“I think so,” Busch told Fox Sports 1 when asked if he thought he could indeed win all three races. “My Nationwide car wasn’t great yesterday, but we made wholesale changes to it and got it a lot better here for this practice tonight, that happened before the Truck race.”
Only one driver in NASCAR history has ever won all three major series races on the same weekend and on the same racetrack.
Would you care to take a guess at who that driver is?
If you guessed the younger Busch brother, you’d be 100 percent correct. Busch won all three races at Bristol Motor Speedway in August 2010.
“The chances are there, I hope it comes true,” Busch said. “We’ll see how that Monster Energy Camry is tomorrow night (in the NNS race).”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Volkswagen Andretti pair of Foust, Speed seek better fortunes, consistency 0
- Hinchcliffe released from hospital, expected to make full recovery (VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit 0
- Drivers ponder why cars didn’t go airborne during the Indianapolis 500 5
- Bell: “A wild Indy 500 without the finish we desired” 0
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 5