Standing restarts confirmed by FIA for 2015, among other updates

Jun 26, 2014, 12:23 PM EDT

Spanish F1 Grand Prix - Race Getty Images

Thought double points was a controversial idea? Try standing restarts after safety car periods.

But like double points, standing restarts are coming, and will be enforced from 2015. That was confirmed at Thursday’s meeting of the World Motor Sport Council:

“Safety Car restarts will now be a standing start from the grid. Standing starts will not be carried out if the Safety Car is used within two laps of the start (or restart) of a race or if there are less than five laps of the race remaining.”

Among the rest of the updates outlined to the 2015 Sporting Regulations, the number of engines that each driver can used will be four, and the penalty for a change of Power Unit will be starting from the back of the grid instead of the pit lane. The current restrictions to the parc fermé will now apply from the start of P3 instead of the start of qualifying, as well.

Rather than three preseason tests of four days apiece in Europe, that’s been reduced to two tests of four days. There also will be two in-season tests of two days each in Europe (instead of the current four). Two of these four days must be reserved for young drivers.

On the Technical Regulations side, a two-stage wheel fastener retaining system is now compulsory.

1. testover6370 - Jun 26, 2014 at 12:47 PM

So I’ll be cutting cable next month, and F1 was the only motorsport where I couldn’t find a legal, legitimate streaming or delayed video upload option. That meant F1 would be the only motorsport I currently follow that I would no longer be able to watch. I’m less sad about that after reading this. What a farce.

2. mrhighlyevolved - Jun 26, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Personally, I like the idea of standing restarts as I feel it will be more exciting than what we currently have. I also like the proposed changes to the noses of the cars, though I don’t really understand the logic behind the new parc ferme conditions.

3. adam1638 - Jun 26, 2014 at 4:27 PM

One change farther from true top tier racing after another. In 2016 I hear there is going to be a halftime show

4. indycarseries500 - Jun 26, 2014 at 5:50 PM

This isn’t anywhere near as bad as double points or DRS. The only part I really really don’t like is the strain on the machinery but other than that it helps the show and isn’t too horribly gimmicky.

5. barrylibby - Jun 26, 2014 at 7:17 PM

# of cars at start –
    # of cars out on first lap crash –
    # of retirements –
    # of crashes-

Looks like Bernie may need to change his reported stand on smaller grids
    vs. his stand on smaller money for him.

6. techmeister1 - Jun 26, 2014 at 10:44 PM

So other than a two-stage wheel fastener system, everything else approved by the FIA is a step backwards… Nice work guys, DUH.

One standing start is bad enough but multiple standing starts per race are an unnecessary danger to all drivers. If the fans are that bored that they need this kind of stupidity, they should watch CRASHCAR or some other circus event.

• blockhead11 - Jun 27, 2014 at 4:33 AM

@techmister1 – Are you really that much of a whiner in real life? All of your post make you sound as though your in need of some “Midol”

Video from NASCAR America

Who has the best chance in Texas?
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches