Jun 27, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Former IndyCar and Champ Car driver Katherine Legge has become the first female driver to secure a seat for the inaugural season of FIA Formula E.
The all-electric championship is the first to have received FIA backing, and will kick off this fall in Beijing. In the past few weeks, a number of drivers have confirmed their seats, with Venturi GP announcing yesterday that Nick Heidfeld and Stephane Sarrazin will be racing for the team this season.
Legge, who currently races the DeltaWing in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship, is relishing the opportunity to race in the new series.
“For me this is a really exciting opportunity,” she explained. “The car is fantastic, it looks amazing and it will be very quick.
“Racing through the streets of the world’s leading cities will be an incredible experience and I think it’s a great chance to bring racing to the people. We will be driving in their cities on their streets.”
Legge is the eleventh driver to be confirmed in Formula E for its first season, and the roster is certainly an impressive one. Six have raced full-time in Formula 1, with others enjoying success in series such as GP2 and the World Endurance Championship.
She is in fact the first to be confirmed with extensive racing experience in North America. Franck Montagny has raced in three one-off IndyCar rounds, and has won Petit Le Mans three times, but he, like the other drivers, have largely plied their trade in Europe.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 12
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 5
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 47
- Kyle Busch outduels Joey Logano for Nationwide win in Dover 2