Jun 27, 2014, 12:14 PM EDT
The Hendrick-powered camps of Chip Ganassi Racing and Stewart Haas Racing have come out fast this weekend at Kentucky Speedway.
Both Ganassi cars and all four SHR cars were among the Top 10 in this morning’s first Sprint Cup practice session on the rough, 1.5-mile oval.
Ganassi’s rookie star, Kyle Larson, posted a lap of 183.549 mph in the No. 42 Target Chevrolet that was good enough to be fastest in the session.
Larson’s veteran teammate, Jamie McMurray, wasn’t too far behind in fourth (181.318), falling in behind Team Penske’s Brad Keselowski (182.143) in second and Michael Waltrip Racing’s Brian Vickers (182.143) in third.
As for SHR, Tony Stewart led the way in fifth (181.287) and was directly followed by all three of his teammates/employees – Kurt Busch in sixth (181.190), Kevin Harvick (180.759) in seventh, and Danica Patrick (180.415) in eighth.
Meanwhile, Roush Fenway Racing’s hopes of continuing their momentum following Carl Edwards’ win last week at Sonoma have perhaps dimmed a bit after a slow session.
As for defending Kentucky winner Matt Kenseth, he was 20th in the practice (179.170).
Another Cup practice will take place at 1 p.m. ET, followed by three-round qualifying for the Quaker State 400 later on at 5:40 p.m. ET.
Video from NASCAR America
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 0
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 0
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2
- VIDEO: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show, talks about F1 in the U.S. 2
- Tune-In: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show (PHOTOS) 1