Jun 27, 2014, 12:14 PM EDT
The Hendrick-powered camps of Chip Ganassi Racing and Stewart Haas Racing have come out fast this weekend at Kentucky Speedway.
Both Ganassi cars and all four SHR cars were among the Top 10 in this morning’s first Sprint Cup practice session on the rough, 1.5-mile oval.
Ganassi’s rookie star, Kyle Larson, posted a lap of 183.549 mph in the No. 42 Target Chevrolet that was good enough to be fastest in the session.
Larson’s veteran teammate, Jamie McMurray, wasn’t too far behind in fourth (181.318), falling in behind Team Penske’s Brad Keselowski (182.143) in second and Michael Waltrip Racing’s Brian Vickers (182.143) in third.
As for SHR, Tony Stewart led the way in fifth (181.287) and was directly followed by all three of his teammates/employees – Kurt Busch in sixth (181.190), Kevin Harvick (180.759) in seventh, and Danica Patrick (180.415) in eighth.
Meanwhile, Roush Fenway Racing’s hopes of continuing their momentum following Carl Edwards’ win last week at Sonoma have perhaps dimmed a bit after a slow session.
As for defending Kentucky winner Matt Kenseth, he was 20th in the practice (179.170).
Another Cup practice will take place at 1 p.m. ET, followed by three-round qualifying for the Quaker State 400 later on at 5:40 p.m. ET.
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 0
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 3
- WATCH LIVE: Malaysian GP live on NBCSN and Live Extra from 2:30a ET 0
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1
- Power on pole in Penske top-four sweep of St. Petersburg qualifying 1
- One spectator killed, others injured, at VLN Endurance event in Germany 3