Jun 27, 2014, 12:14 PM EST
The Hendrick-powered camps of Chip Ganassi Racing and Stewart Haas Racing have come out fast this weekend at Kentucky Speedway.
Both Ganassi cars and all four SHR cars were among the Top 10 in this morning’s first Sprint Cup practice session on the rough, 1.5-mile oval.
Ganassi’s rookie star, Kyle Larson, posted a lap of 183.549 mph in the No. 42 Target Chevrolet that was good enough to be fastest in the session.
Larson’s veteran teammate, Jamie McMurray, wasn’t too far behind in fourth (181.318), falling in behind Team Penske’s Brad Keselowski (182.143) in second and Michael Waltrip Racing’s Brian Vickers (182.143) in third.
As for SHR, Tony Stewart led the way in fifth (181.287) and was directly followed by all three of his teammates/employees – Kurt Busch in sixth (181.190), Kevin Harvick (180.759) in seventh, and Danica Patrick (180.415) in eighth.
Meanwhile, Roush Fenway Racing’s hopes of continuing their momentum following Carl Edwards’ win last week at Sonoma have perhaps dimmed a bit after a slow session.
As for defending Kentucky winner Matt Kenseth, he was 20th in the practice (179.170).
Another Cup practice will take place at 1 p.m. ET, followed by three-round qualifying for the Quaker State 400 later on at 5:40 p.m. ET.
Video from NASCAR America
- Track executive arrested, charged with lewdness with 19-year-old 0
- Why Hendrick won’t retire the No. 24 2
- Brasilia IndyCar race is canceled 3
- Rick Hendrick: No pressure on Jeff Gordon in final season, he just has to win 14 races and championship 4
- Column: Chase Elliott’s promotion perfectly timed for NASCAR 9
- Chase Elliott will replace Jeff Gordon as No. 24 driver next season 5
- Truex’s girlfriend passes milestone in cancer recovery 0