Jun 27, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT
In the aftermath of Team Penske’s third front row sweep of the season in Sprint Cup qualifying, Jeff Gordon said he’d be more worried if the Penske duo of Brad Keselowski and Joey Logano were beating him when it counts.
Keselowski and Logano have won this season (in Logano’s case, twice), but Gordon’s Hendrick Motorsports outfit has been the dominant team as of late with five victories in the last six Sprint Cup points races.
The one they didn’t win in that span was last weekend at Sonoma – and HMS still had all four of its drivers finish within the Top 10 behind winner Carl Edwards.
Gordon qualified third for tomorrow night’s Quaker State 400 at Kentucky Speedway, and while he was complimentary of what the Penske camp has done in qualifying, he also wasn’t exactly shaking in his driving shoes.
“At this point, we’ve kind of gotten used to it and we’re always going to work hard and try to beat it,” he said. “They’re really doing an amazing job with their cars for qualifying.
“But we seem to have something for them when they drop the green flag for the race. So whatever it is doesn’t seem to correlate to race runs as much.”
Gordon also indicated that Keselowski and Logano have capitalized on short runs to get their wins so far in 2014.
“Those guys are just so spectacular in qualifying but it doesn’t – they’ve won races, don’t get me wrong – but they’ve typically won races when it’s a real short run and they’ve got to get it done in [those],” he said.
That’s partially true overall. Logano’s win over Gordon at Texas was in Green-White-Checkered mode, and his win later on at Richmond came after he started fourth on the final restart with nine laps left (he took the lead with four to go). However, Keselowski’s win over Dale Earnhardt Jr. at Las Vegas was done with the final 42 laps under green-flag conditions.
At any rate, Gordon will be seeking his first win at Kentucky tomorrow night, which would also allow him to say that he’s won at every active track on the Sprint Cup circuit.
It’s a goal that the four-time series champion would be happy to reach.
“It would be very cool,” he said. “Most of my energy is spent with do we have a shot at winning at this track. I feel like we have run solid here the last few times we have been here.
“I feel like as good as our cars are this year that this is probably the most legitimate shot that we’ve had of crossing that one off the list.
“It would mean a lot. It would be quite an accomplishment and it’s something that I would love to say I have done.”
Video from NASCAR America
- It’s official: Tony Stewart to miss Bristol race, Jeff Burton to once again drive No. 14 3
- When — or will — Tony Stewart ever race again? 2
- Andre Lotterer confirmed for Caterham debut at Spa 6
- NASCAR: Joe Gibbs hopeful for eventual return of Tony Stewart 12
- The 2014 Milwaukee IndyFest weekend high on promise, with more positives than negatives 5
- NASCAR’s worst-kept secret is official: Carl Edwards joins Joe Gibbs Racing from 2015 4
- Report: Comcast’s Xfinity, NASCAR closer to series sponsorship deal 0